SQL software

Associate
Hi,

Eventually this will go online, however for the time being I want to keep my project under wraps.

I am building a solution that will be based on an sql database, however I am currently investigating software that will allow me to create this on my own desktop.

Any reccomendations(free being preferable, I dont want to fork out for oracle).

Cheers

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Depends on the platform. Is it web-based, desktop-based; what are you making (generally?).

For Windows there's Microsoft SQL Server Express (free) with the excellent Management Studio (free).
For cross-platform there's MySQL with the.. adequate MySQL workbench.
Or you could go for something like SQLite and use something like SQLite Database browser.

Preferably write your solution as n-tier and create a data-access layer in your app so you can swap in/out the database to anything (noSQL, Oracle, csv, punch card...). All your business logic cares about is the fact it gets objects of type T from a data layer, it doesn't care where or how that's stored.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It will be web based yes.

Looking over the above, the microsoft SQL Server Express appears to be a good shout, so I will give that a go.

Essentially I have been trading stocks/shares on a dummy account, with set criteria. It appears to be working, so now I want to help automate my decision making. I will trial that for a number of months THEN I will then consider to go live with real cash.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Cool, just don't make the mistake this company did :D.

What language are you writing it in? Generally, if you write it in .NET then go for MSSQL. If you write it in PHP go for MySQL. PHP can work with MSSQL and visa-versa but generally that's the way it's done.

Back
Top Bottom