SriLanka holiday - airline and tips?

Soldato
Planning to go to Sri Lanka in early October for a honeymoon. The only ones who fly direct are SriLanka Airlines but I haven't heard brilliant things about them. Has anyone here flown? Are they decent? The alternatives are either Qatar or Etihad mainly, both with a short stopover. Cost is basically the same.

Also, currently thinking in Sri Lanka of going to Sigriya, East coast for some beach time, and Ella. Do people have any other suggestions for 'must-do's'? Thinking of skipping Kandy at the moment, so we have a few days to spend at each of those places and go around/relax.

Have flown Sri Lankan a few times, but the costs were higher than transit flights. Just been there with Qatar, about 2 hours stopover.

You can go for a safari in Udawalawa or Yala.

Have flown Sri Lankan a few times, but the costs were higher than transit flights. Just been there with Qatar, about 2 hours stopover.

You can go for a safari in Udawalawa or Yala.

Oh Brilliant - which airline did you prefer? Or pretty much the same?

I used to prefer direct flights but after a few transits, now I prefer Qatar. It gives a bit of a break between.
Mind you, few weeks ago when I went with Qatar, the first leg of the flight was operated by BA. It was bad. The second leg of the flight by Oman air(even though I bought direct from Qatar airways) - that was worse. But coming back it was all operated by Qatar and was pretty good.

We flew direct with Sri Lanka in economy in 2019 and it was fine.

Itinerary looks good. We did Sigariya, Kandy, Ella and then some beach time on the south coast. Kandy is worth a day to see the temple and gardens, so worth including especially as it's a natural stop on the way to Ella.

If you're hiring a driver (it really is the best way to get around), be aware that they are scammy and will try and will try and make you stop at a number of tourist shops, woodwork factories, tea farms, overpriced tours, or other crap that will pay the driver commission if you buy something. To avoid this, just be clear when booking/at the start of the trip that you are not interested in any stops at shops/tours and that you want them to stick to your itinerary.

One of the highlights of the trip was the train between Hatton and Ella (or you can start at Kandy). Your driver can take your bags to your destination while you enjoy one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world.

If you want a beach hotel recommendation, have a look at Buckingham Place (not a typo). Fantastic boutique hotel run by an eccentric British guy with fantastic food - each morning was a Sri Lankan twist on a traditional Western breakfast. Would be a good honeymoon spot I think.

Back
Top Bottom