SSD advice and help

Soldato
Firstly can anyone see me having any problems with a SSD on my motherboard (gigabyte ga-790 fxta-ud5)

manual says the only 6gbps ports i have are

Marvell 9128 chip:
-
2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to
2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
-
Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1

Associate
The older Marvell controllers aren't great. You'll find they will give you slightly better sequential reads and writes than the AMD 3Gb/sec ports, but worse random reads and writes, and it won't be as reliable or consistent. That's assuming you're talking about an SSD with a 6Gb/sec controller, anyway.

Soldato
OP
The older Marvell controllers aren't great. You'll find they will give you slightly better sequential reads and writes than the AMD 3Gb/sec ports, but worse random reads and writes, and it won't be as reliable or consistent. That's assuming you're talking about an SSD with a 6Gb/sec controller, anyway.

So i'm pretty much ****** then SIGH , annoying upgrade itch is annoying

Soldato
Just use the native AMD SATA 2 controllers. You'll still get a nice speed boost.

I find it wierd Marvell controllers on SSDs are amazing but Marvell controllers on boards to give SATA 6Gbps are terrible...

Soldato
OP
Just use the native AMD SATA 2 controllers. You'll still get a nice speed boost.

I find it wierd Marvell controllers on SSDs are amazing but Marvell controllers on boards to give SATA 6Gbps are terrible...

By using native controllers do you mean just install windows 7 and let it do it's thing. Sorry for sounding thick but i've never done anything regarding ssd's.

here is my MOBO btw

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3258#sp

Back
Top Bottom