SSD Prices - Not looking great

Soldato
I had bought a couple of 2TB 2.5" SSDs before the price increases. Then moved all my data around on my existing spinning hard drives to spread my data more evenly and free up more space.

Then my portable SSD failed which is my go to for daily backup, but I was out growing it anyway. Was hoping to upgrade it, but the prices are nuts.

Associate
Looking to upgrade myself - but main components aren't released yet (X870, blackwell, Zen5 X3D, etc.)

Getting back into the swing of component research and, after reading here about storage price increases, starting to wonder if I should get anything up front!

Soldato
Wish I had have bought more 4Tb SAmmy drives when I had chance, paid £163 for a 4tb, I 'was' waiting for the 8tb to drop to less than £300, it got to about £315, now, its nowhere near that...

Soldato
Luckily bought a few 2TB 2.5" SSD's and a couple of nvme drives before the big jump in price. Not going to run out of storage for awhile but you never know!

Soldato
Pricing is stabilising with bulk of rises coming in to August. Marginal expected through to Q1 next year.

BiCS4 NAND production in constraint with fabs at WD/KIOXIA focusing on BiCS8 now. Dark times ahead.

DRAM has seen some drops at wafer level though which is nice to see but fabs switching over to HMB type production will affect DDR4 and to an extend DDR5 over the next few QTRs. Blame AI.

Soldato
I'm sure they're controlling the size and prices. Once the average user gets a decent sized SSD they won't be buying another one for a very long time.

Associate
I'm sure they're controlling the size and prices. Once the average user gets a decent sized SSD they won't be buying another one for a very long time.
Don't think so. Games are getting increasingly bigger (eg. CODMW3 with warzone is 215gb). This is only going to get worse with future high res assets. There are probably a lot of people like me that don't like deleting games or have a lot of half finished games.

Soldato
Don't think so. Games are getting increasingly bigger (eg. CODMW3 with warzone is 215gb). This is only going to get worse with future high res assets. There are probably a lot of people like me that don't like deleting games or have a lot of half finished games.
Maybe. There's not that many games with playing at any one point, IMO of course. It's not that hard to download again these days with the internet speeds we get. I do agree some are getting very large though, as we move to 4K more that will increase. I don't see why 8TB aren't cheaper and more available though.

Soldato
i dont think much of this modern poetry
See my signature

"No I am not using poetic prose
Nor am I writing limericks :):)
I space text weirdly due to Dyslexia I can't parse blocks of text
properly,thanks for understanding :):):):)"

Whether my comments are useful
Should be more important than the weird way
I type them

Soldato

Really comes down to your internet speed on that one. If you have fast internet, redownloading games isn't that much of an issue so deleting them and redownloading when you want to play doesn't take a lot of time.

Soldato
I'm disappointed with even mechanical storage prices as well, only that I went to buy a replacement drive for my home server the other day and see they are not where I thought they would be by now. I guess the demand for them has dropped off a cliff nowadays.

Soldato
I’ve just picked up a used SN850X 2tb for £100.

If these companies want to charge rip off prices then I have no qualms shopping in the second hand market, Nvidia and AMD already lost out on £1000 of my cash this year although Nvidia don’t seem to need it right now with how their enterprise stuff is doing.

Soldato
For those who are suggesting that this is all being controlled to increase your buying of an SSD capacity, that’s wrong. There is no push really go bump capacity although minimum SSD size will be 256gb rather than something smaller once BiCS8 is mainstream.

The reason why this is happening is because of over supply and under demand. The fabs lost $31billion. Of course they’re being more careful on what they ship and how they ship it. They need to drive up costs or they won’t be in business. The SSD prices you all saw wasn’t normal and the outlets selling them and telling you all this is the new price etc were either miss informed or just didn’t have a clue with what they were saying.

Welcome to the real world. Congratulations you all took the red pill.

Back
Top Bottom