SSD Query

Associate
Hi, just a quick one.

I've recently bought a PC from Overclockers and installed the OS (Windows 10 Home) on to the SSD for a quicker boot but was wondering would you suggest also installing software to it as well or just use the hard drive and keep everything separate?

- 250GB SSD.
- 1TB HDD

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Yeah, at the minute I've only got the Windows 10, Steam client and Chrome installed on the SSD and then all of the HDD free but I might just use that as a back-up.

Soldato
Anything you access regularly should, as far as possible, be on the SSD. There's little point leaving a large portion of the SSD empty.

Agree entirely. Use the HDD for storing data, media etc, and any big games you don't play much, and then just move games between the SSD and HDD as and when you need them.

Associate
Use the SSD for frequent games & the operating system.

Some large/frequently accessed files can also be moved there to make loading them smoother.

Soldato
Typical Windows 10 install is about 24GB, plus page and hibernation file which varies with RAM installed. It'll go up a bit with cumulative monthly updates, which gets returned after the next feature update clears out the cruft every six months...

Back
Top Bottom