SSL Certificate (installation?)

Soldato
It has been ages it seems since I had to maintain my site, and I completely forgot what the process is.

My SSL Certificate expired on Mar 08 and I need a new one. But I can't remember how to go about doing it. From the host provider Control Panel, I can click the SSL Certificate link and it gives me code for a CSR (Certificate Request) which I can use to request and purchase my own certificate.

I have the budget approval for a new 3-year cert. Can I just buy this anywhere (godaddy for example)? Once purchased, how does it work from there? I can't remember if I need to put something on web server itself or...

Sorry to be so vague and dumb here.

Soldato
It has been ages it seems since I had to maintain my site, and I completely forgot what the process is.

My SSL Certificate expired on Mar 08 and I need a new one. But I can't remember how to go about doing it. From the host provider Control Panel, I can click the SSL Certificate link and it gives me code for a CSR (Certificate Request) which I can use to request and purchase my own certificate.

I have the budget approval for a new 3-year cert. Can I just buy this anywhere (godaddy for example)? Once purchased, how does it work from there? I can't remember if I need to put something on web server itself or...

Sorry to be so vague and dumb here.

Save the certificate request you got from your control panel, then head over to GoDaddy and buy your SSL cert.

Then when you've bought it, log in to your GoDaddy account and activate your SSL certificate. You'll then need to put your CSR into your GoDaddy account (for that cert you've just bought) and then also set the way in which GoDaddy can authenticate/verify your domain. Sometimes they can do it automatically by WHOIS'ing the domain and emailing the domain contact, but as I found out sometimes this wont work if your WHOIS doesnt have any contact details. I had to upload a HTML file that they provided to the root of our hosting so they could verify the domain. Then when thats done you can download your certificate and then import it into your IIS!

Soldato
OP
I received this email from my host provider's tech support:

The use of shared SSL certificate, due to industry standards, is being phased out on the servers that use the older technology, such as the server you are located on.

The reason for this is because the older servers lack the updated software that a secure site should be running on. Browser technology has also greatly improved offering stronger warnings to visitors accessing a site using a shared ssl certificate possibly deterring additional sales.

On a side note, merchant banks will not be allowing the use of shared ssl certificates in the near future, an exact date has not yet been released however this is something that is beyond our control as a hosting provider. I have had customers state that merchant banks are charging a higher rate for continued use.

We are partnered with Trustwave which offers a premium SSL certificate for about $85.00 a year. Alternatively, we also recommend a standard ssl certificate for $9 a year through Namecheap.com.

We will continue to allow the use of shared ssl certificates on the newer cPanel servers only which include automated updates and the newer software versions.

We can migrate you over to the new cPanel servers at no additional cost if you wish to continue to use the shared server ssl. We can also offer to move your site to another plusmail server with a valid cert which will require some changes to the secure links. We do recommend upgrading to the newer cPanel server accounts.
I opted to have them migrate me over to the new cPanel server. I supposed I will see where it goes from there. I think I was using the shared server SSL before which is why it was so easy to set up way back then.

Back
Top Bottom