Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Soldato
I've been driving for a while now, the best part of 30 years, and I seem to be getting increasingly frustrated with the standard of driving in this country. Up until fairly recently I use to travel 35-45k a year on business, but thankfully I now have a reasonably short commute on a mixture of A roads and motorway.

However, despite the fact I'm no longer racking up the miles I seem to be experiencing more and more drivers that in my opinion simply shouldn't be on the road. The worst culprit for me at the moment is the driver that can't appear to get up to speed when joining a motorway. I'm literally seeing this on a daily basis and it's downright dangerous. 40mph when you're trying to merge with vehicles doing 55-70mph is a recipe for disaster. Then once you're finally on the motorway you've got the middle lane dwellers, the special ones that seem to think that because there's a lorry in the inside lane half a mile up the carriageway that it's their god-given right to hold up the entire motorway.

After leaving the motorway and back onto the A roads you then get the suicidal emergers. You know the type, they seem to wait until you're almost upon them before pulling out of a side road, their mind seemingly stuck between two thoughts and inevitably they make the wrong decision which equates to a quick stamp on the middle pedal. You wouldn't mind so much, but half the time they don't even bother to put their foot down in order to evade a rear-end collision! This leads us nicely on to my final bugbear, the over-hesitant, the dithering driver waiting for a gap the size of the QE2 before emerging from a roundabout, totally oblivious to the huge queue lining up behind them. Honestly, if you're that indecisive I'm afraid there's no room for you on our overcrowded road network.

Anyway enough of my ranting, what winds you up on the road?

TLDR There's too many ***** on the road!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had a bit of a fail of my own at the weekend - I'd already been held up behind 2 farm vehicles then 2 cyclists..

Cyclists are rife around here, haven't got a problem with them normally, but when they travel in a herd imagining they're in the Tour De France without a care in the world for other road users it makes my blood boil.

Also plenty of people taking videos for Instagram/snapchat/whatever half staring at their phone and half looking at the road.

Yes, see this a lot, another example of why social media is the scourge of society. You wouldn't mind so much, but when the inevitable crash does happen they often take out an innocent member of the public with them.

Soldato
OP
You're old and washed up, get a new hobby.

Thanks for that, :p Still in my forties, so hopefully not completely washed up just yet!

I was broadly with you until you then started whining about people joining roundabouts and then it just became "old man noise".

So you're happy to sit in an ever-increasing queue for many many minutes, whilst at the front Doris in her Y reg Yaris plucks up enough courage to edge out into the roundabout? Come on, don't tell me that doesn't wind you up, at least just a tiny bit?

Soldato
OP
Doris is someone's Mum and unlike you isn't Colin McRae. Spend more time focusing on your own driving, mindfulness and happiness than getting offended that an old dear who probably had anxiety about driving that day takes slightly longer than you. Mr. Meldrew.

You're a true delight aren't you? I mean seriously, I try and take a fairly light-hearted look at some of the many issues on today's road and I get labelled a Mr Meldrew. I'm certainly no Colin McRae, but I do realise when some people shouldn't be out on the road.

Soldato
OP
Driving standards in the UK are really very good - something which can be seen in our accident statistics which are amongst the best on the planet

The problem is the title of the thread isn't "How does the driving accident statistics in the UK compare to the rest of the planet" I don't really care what the rest of the planet is doing as I predominantly drive over here. Have a moan or get out! :p

Back
Top Bottom