Stargåte Origins coming soon

Caporegime

Please merge if a relevant thread exists.

Stargate became probably one of the best TV Scifi series along with Startrek Babylon 5 and maybe BSG!

It's being tackled again but this time it seems in the guise of prequels staring Cathrine Langford, which is kinda cool?

Anyway, after the flop of SGU, which was promising to get good just as they canceled it, I pray to Anubis and Seth and all the other system lords that this one gets going and is "ok"

I suspect though, as most prequels do, wee all over the previous canon, after all, she was never have meant to actually go through the Stargate.

It looks a bit Indiana Jones to me tbh And im pretty sure i saw a Nazi or 2.....

Soldato
If she ends up going through the gate regularly, it's just a further diminishing the significance of Daniel Jackson's work.

Also I'm still bitter about SGU getting cancelled as it was finally finding its feet and getting good.

Not confident in this - will keep an eye on it but anticipating disappointment.

Associate
From what I remember of the early Stargate programme, It was only ever activated once after its discovery when Catherine Langfords fiance went through (Torment of Tantalus) and was presumed dead. Its been a while since i saw the original movie but i'm sure that was the first time since the fiance incident that the SG was used?

Associate
Meh - Stargates themselves are cool. I retrospectively started watching SG1 last year and noticed that they directly ripped off a lot of stories from the Star Trek franchises. I only made it to series 5. Atlantis was ok. Universe was ok too.

Might check this out. Is this on normal TV, Sky or Netflix/Amazon?

Caporegime
Looks terrible. :D :D :D :D

Just look at the movement of the chevron locking ... what is going on there?! :D

giphy.gif

Soldato
Please be good, please be good, please be good!

From what I remember of the early Stargate programme, It was only ever activated once after its discovery when Catherine Langfords fiance went through (Torment of Tantalus) and was presumed dead. Its been a while since i saw the original movie but i'm sure that was the first time since the fiance incident that the SG was used?
From what I recall of this, you're spot on. One of the later SG films used time travel with Baal on earth and was all over the place. I can't remember if that changes things or not.

Soldato
Can't see the point in doing a prequel with less tech, and before the Stargate was used to travel to other worlds. The audience for this sort of thing wants sci-fi, not a historical adventure with a little bit of lip service to what made Stargate good. I can't see how they are going to capture the magic of the original cast(s) if there's no actual Stargating about the universe to give them something significant to do.

Soldato
Yeah that is one of my favourite episodes. But again the significance of that event would be ruined if Catherine ends up travelling through the gate at all.

But then if she's not using the gate, what's the point of the show... :huh: It seems like a waste of effort - I'd prefer them to do a tie in to SGU (assuming they can't get the original cast back together) following the end of season 2 - so many questions left unanswered, and that deserve to be answered.

Man of Honour
Can't see the point in doing a prequel with less tech, and before the Stargate was used to travel to other worlds. The audience for this sort of thing wants sci-fi, not a historical adventure with a little bit of lip service to what made Stargate good. I can't see how they are going to capture the magic of the original cast(s) if there's no actual Stargating about the universe to give them something significant to do.

I dunno - there is a good proportion of the Stargate audience who like it from the escapist perspective - a well written exploration of the origins could do that - this however I don't think it going to be the case - the trailer makes it look far too cheesy.

Stargate for me needs to be a bit darker - the humour set against the backdrop not just slapstick for the sake of it. I'd love to see a bit of a more slow brewing, moodier version of the show.

It looks terrible but so was the last two series of SG and all of Atlantis. Basically when MGM sold the rights to it, it got dreadful.

While Atlantis was sadly largely a let down Season 4 episode 16 is probably my favourite of the entire show including SG1, etc.

Man of Honour
Are they just going to retcon everything to make this show? Either start from scratch and say SG1 is dead or stay cannon which means this series is DOA, whats the point!?

Personally I'm OK with a completely new take on it - for me it won't diminish the existing Stargate stuff which I think has pretty much wrapped itself up.

Personally I'm OK with a completely new take on it - for me it won't diminish the existing Stargate stuff which I think has pretty much wrapped itself up.

Exactly, id be fine with that, just reboot and go, but saying this is a prequel seems to contradict a lot of stuff thats shown in SG1 etc. Some pretty creative writing will be needed otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom