Starlink - Battle For Atlas

Soldato
Had a go at Gamescom and thought the gameplay was pretty solid and the No Man's Sky vibe with some characters and more stuff to do would be cool.

PS4 Gameplay trailer

Live Action Trailer

Get my starter copy for PS4 today. Not really interesting in the toy side personally, I'll be unlocking them and then they'll be living on my desk in the office :)

*I am a Ubisoft employee and I get the starter pack heavily discounted.

Soldato
OP
Only played an hour...enjoying it so far.

Cable for the ship doesn't reach to my sofa so I've just unlocked the stuff and playing digitally. It's pretty cool the visualisation on screen when you switch weapons.

Shame there aren't more LEDs on the ship that light up when you do stuff, just has a couple of engine lights. Anyway, not really into the toys so I'll be taking that back to the office tomorrow to sit with my Homeworld mothership :)

Still going through tutorial missions. Very family focused so light tone, kid friendly annoying characters..but could be worse on that front. A lot of skills/ weapon mods to configure, and an RPG levelling system. Not sure how the gameplay pans out yet, like open world style, grindy or what....

Soldato
OP
When you die, a screen pops up telling you that you can swap ships to keep playing, or go back to a checkpoint. I mean, you know what you're getting into with a toys to life game, but that doesn't feel great. It's not going to stop you making progress, you can always drop the difficulty, but meh.

There's a lot of talking....I hope it calms down after the intro stuff..

Soldato
OP
Well, it's not quite what I expected.

It plays sorta like Borderlands, set in No Man's Sky. It's a loot shooter RPG basically, with green blue purple weapons mods, levelling system, skills, ultimates. Lots of dialogue and plenty of story missions to drive you forward, but lots of diversions if you just want to explore.

Controls are a little weird, taking a while to get used to.

Soldato
OP
It's a decent game at 25 even without the toys tbh, I dip into it and play every now and then, nice and chilled and colorful. Like No Man's Sky but smaller, more pew pew, more stuff to do. Some annoying characters but it is aimed at a family audience so I'll give it a pass on that front.

Back
Top Bottom