Starting my own buisiness

Soldato
Thinking about starting up myself doing removals/deliveries/courier work as atm i'm doing this in the evenings and it seems to pay quite well

heres my situation

i work full time in a job i dont really like
I own a rather nice transit sized van already
I already do the buisiness idea "evenings and weekends"

what i need

some advice on advertising,
some possible avenues for funding for a larger(second) van bear in mind i have a really crappy credit history so a loans out of the equation
advice on keeping myself right financially ie tax NI etc

I already have a website in process atm (profesional web developer owes me one) and really just need some advice on getting meself started out

would anyone suggest keeping my job on part time to provide an income at first or should i just live off my meagre savings enoguh for a month)

thoughts please guys and all advice welcome

Soldato
see if your work will allow you to go part time for a short period of time, tell them you have family problems or something and your needed more at home for a month, dosent relly matter what you tell them, but I presume, "I want to quit but just making sure I can manage without my waye first" isn't going to cut it..

Then you can decide in that month if you will earn enough to jack it in. Failing that ask for some unpaid leave, you dont have to tell them why, and if it dont work you can jack it in!

As for the van, maybe try and find a partner willing to buy in with his contribution being a van, you must have a mate with some money who wants to be self employed! I reckon I would jump at the chance if it was well thaught out.... your not in cheshire are you. lol

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Right, you can register self employed here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ and that site takes you through pretty much everything you need to know. Don't bother registering as a limited company unless you think you could lose a lot of money, just operate as a sole trader at first.

You have to pay type 2 National Insurance which is about £2 per week, then you pay the rest when you put in your tax return.

You want to put away about 25% of whatever you earn to cover tax and NI which you pay yearly with your tax return. You can do the return online and it'll calculate how much tax you owe, or if your maths isn't too good (or if you're too busy) you can pay an accountant to do it for you. Accountant fees are normally offset by the taxt they fiddle, sorry save you.

Soldato
OP
well sound advise cheers

think i might just try and cut work down to 4 days and then blitz the local area with an advertising campaign and get the website up asap.

the vans going to be reliviried(best advert going) and i'll see about getting a trailer board built(you know the big trailer adverts the political parties all love)

just need a catchy slogan and name now

anyone give me a run down on registering a company and the implications for me?

Back
Top Bottom