Static caravan - where and costs

Associate
Hi folks

I'm looking at getting a static caravan near Prestatyn/Rhyl but just thought I'd see if any others had one and locations good/bad and site fees.

Stayed at presthaven a few times but the site fees to buy one there are ridiculous - 7-9k a year!

*Hovers fingers anxiously over the ban button for mentioning Rhyl*

I've looked into this a few times and site fees are always what finally convinces me to ditch the idea. It could be feasible if you are happy having every holiday in your static instead of anywhere else, but the site fees are basically the equivilent of 2-3 international holidays a year.

Working full time means I have limited PTO anyway, so the numbers never balance for me.

Hi folks

I'm looking at getting a static caravan near Prestatyn/Rhyl but just thought I'd see if any others had one and locations good/bad and site fees.

Stayed at presthaven a few times but the site fees to buy one there are ridiculous - 7-9k a year!
7-9k is absolutely insane! Understandable if you can't travel abroad and want to do frequent holidays, to the same place no less. But that is two or three very nice holidays a year!!

Last edited:
I think renting it out when you're not using it is how the numbers start to work.

Years ago, in the 90s, I had relatives who had a static. On a Haven site for some years and later on an independent site. I think fees were probably not so steep then as at some point they stopped renting out to randoms, just wasn't worth the problems that came up.

Unless you’re in an extremely comfortable financial position and can afford to lose £5k plus a year, then it’s just not worth it imo.

Haven’s let2offset is very handy for getting your site fees down, but you have to give up your caravan for renting a fair bit

Last edited:
I’m not in the market for a static caravan but I’m curious about those numbers as they are considerably higher than one would imagine, is that land lease and upkeep of the park? You can’t buy the plot and caravan outright?

I’m not in the market for a static caravan but I’m curious about those numbers as they are considerably higher than one would imagine, is that land lease and upkeep of the park? You can’t buy the plot and caravan outright?
Not on holiday parks, no. It's all lease and ground rental.

The alternate is residential parks but that incurs council tax etc too as they are technically residential lodgings.

£7200 is their minimum apparently at the moment which indeed is insane!

Looking for places it's cheaper ideally and I can't be bothered renting it out to people I don't know who would just trash it.

I'm a contractor so don't like taking holidays hahaa, least if I got a static I could be near some sort of coastline for walking after work etc

The alternate is residential parks but that incurs council tax etc too as they are technically residential lodgings.
Would be awesome to own the land for sure though, although thinking holiday parks so the kids can enjoy what they offer etc too.
I get to WFH permanently so when we went haven last I spent the week working and then got to hang with the family after if was absolutely ideal

Would be awesome to own the land for sure though, although thinking holiday parks so the kids can enjoy what they offer etc too.
I get to WFH permanently so when we went haven last I spent the week working and then got to hang with the family after if was absolutely ideal
I've tried working from holiday parks a few times and the wifi was just too rubbish to be viable. We stick to Air BnB now with decent wifi. We did that this week in fact, £700 for the week. That's the equivilent of 10 weeks in an Air BnB just to cover the ground costs of a holiday park.

The holiday park fees only make sense if you can use it most weekends

Plenty round our way in East Sussex are closed 2 weeks a year around Christmas and New Year so they are council tax exempt - I know a few people that use them as their primary dwelling and then just stay with family at Christmas.

It works out cheaper for them than being in private rented by a decent margin.

My mate is paying circa £3k for his plot in Chapel St Leonards. This includes water/electric. Has to pay for gas bottles though. He rents it out to friends and family and its also on Air BnB which I think he will get rid off for next year as his static was trashed on one occasion, left filthy on another and another occasion a broken sofa.

My mate is paying circa £3k for his plot in Chapel St Leonards. This includes water/electric. Has to pay for gas bottles though. He rents it out to friends and family and its also on Air BnB which I think he will get rid off for next year as his static was trashed on one occasion, left filthy on another and another occasion a broken sofa.
Yeah this is the reason I won't rent out if I'd got one, people just don't look after stuff.

I've tried working from holiday parks a few times and the wifi was just too rubbish to be viable. We stick to Air BnB now with decent wifi. We did that this week in fact, £700 for the week. That's the equivilent of 10 weeks in an Air BnB just to cover the ground costs of a holiday park.

The holiday park fees only make sense if you can use it most weekends
Absolutely, I'd hope we'd use it most weekends. But definitely won't be paying 7k for fees, don't get how they can justify it lol

My parents have a regular caravan which they keep ‘static’ at £3.5k/year. They use an ‘EE’ dongle which gives excellent wifi.

Yeah we had a regular caravan, mentioned it loads in the last couple of decades, but it was on a seasonal pitch in St Agnes, so we just had to turn up and use it (kept on pitch Easter to end October) £500 a season but even 10 years ago this was very cheap

The in-laws have one at Pinewoods in North Norfolk I think they pay about £5k p/a site fee/rent.

You have to pay electric and gas on top.

And you have to buy the caravan obviously first.

There are others costs, insurance, boiler service etc, you need to me maintain it, clean it (externally) and there are age limits, however there one is modern and the site said basically there is no time limit on it, although the wife's uncle who also had one there did have to change it after 16 years, I think it depends on how good it is.

They use it a lot though, and so do we, we spend about a month of the year there on average.

I don't know if we will take it on when the inevitable happens, it's nice, but it is a lot of money, for the cost you could get a mortgage on a flat nearly, and rent that out as an investment

Back
Top Bottom