Static HTML/CSS website to CMS

Associate
Hey

Was wondering if anyone could point in the way to a tutorial or such on how i would go about converting a basic html+css website with no content in it to a CMS?

I've only had experience in building websites with just HTML and CSS but the thought of making it work within a CMS is rather confusing. Can someone tell methe steps on how to go about doing this?

I want to begin building a website using HTML and CSS but i'd like to get into the habit of using a CMS when building websites from now on.

Thanks

So what you're saying is i can go about making my website how i usually would and i can define each DIV in the CMS so it knows where i want to put text etc?

Do you know any php, best to write your own CMS if you can. For a few static pages it wouldn't be to much work. Need a simple parser and a simple editor then set up pages as a template and load each section as needed.

CMS' can get complex though, so really depends who complex your page is.

I've done a little PHP ( making login and register page with email + validation) along with some javascript validation and ive also done some MySQL (creating database for users). I plan on re using such coding on future websites.

The website ill be making probably wont be complex to begin with and will just hold information/images and later i'll keep adding to it.

As for creating my own CMS i dont think i'd be very comfortable doing such a task as i've never really dealt with a CMS before.

Which CMS would you guys recommend and has the best features?.

Last edited:
Wordpress is simple and supported by most hosting providers, has loads of templates and modules that are easy to install and lots of support from other users/developers online!

You could go for something like Joomla or Drupal, but I doubt you'll benefit from any of these.

If I was making a new site - I'd pick wordpress every time

Sounds good. Thanks for the info!

I take it most other websites such as the BBC, gizmodo etc use their own custom made CMS?

Back
Top Bottom