Staying cool in summer, any recommendations ?

Associate
Hey all.

So after a rather "eventful" Mod1 practice on the test site, where I ended up overheating so badly I had to stop half way through and lay in the air-conditioned reception stripped-off to the waist for 30mins to recover, I'm wondering what options you guys and gals go with to try and keep cool on a bike.
I'm definitely one of those ATGATT guys, which of course makes it all the more of an issue staying cool in this hot weather.

Any recommendations for good "summer" gear that breathes well and stays cool is very welcome. Gloves, jackets etc.. Even those "cooling vests" you can get (both the icepack ones and the water-circulation ones for racing) Anyone have any opinion / first-hand knowledge of using one?

Cheers all :)

Man of Honour
Similar to Mickcas I wear a Dainese Air Frame mesh jacket, some form of Kevlar jeans either RST or Hood and then my normal boots and some vented Racer gloves.

I generally run very warm and that combo has done me fine for the last few years. Although I don't think anything would have saved me if I was riding in the heatwave last week!

Soldato
I still have some old Frank Thomas leathers that have perforated panels facing into the oncoming airflow. They let enough air through that it almost feels like you're wearing nothing up top.
One tip is to open up your pockets (empty them first) for additional airflow.

Another point to note is that, at certain speeds, the airflow over your outer clothing layer generates skin friction which will actually heat you up instead of cooling you. Riding faster is not always better, and it's worse when the air is thicker. Try slowing down a bit, especially on motorways.

Associate
OP
I suspect you have a different definition of 'hot' than we do, but yes a mesh jacket is certainly the way to go.
I wish that were the case, but sadly no.
I have a host of medical complaints that seem to combine to make to very susceptible to temperature and once I start "getting too hot" if I don't do something about it prettymuch straight away it's like a domino effect and my body temp just runs away until I'm pouring sweat from head to toe and then either throw up, pass out, or both.

In the end I went with a backpack / liquid cooling vest solution that was certainly not cheap, but having ice-water flowing around your upper body when it's toasty outside is really nice :D

Back
Top Bottom