Steam hacked ?

Associate
Hi all.

I tried to play some games last night but it said my password was wrong, Shouldn't be as i haven't reset it or anything.

Any how after trying and trying still no luck i've opened up a ticket to witch i still haven't heard anything at all from Steam:mad:
how does it take for them to reply? I've added pictures and product keys to prove it's my account but NOTHING !

What is puzzling me is that i did the Email address verification to my email address but i'm still not getting anything sent to it when i know my username and email address?

Any more ideas please?

It will normally take a couple of days for them to respond assuming you've provided all the info they need.

If your not getting the password reset emails then depending on how your password has been compromised (putting your details into a phishing website, key logger on a machine you've used etc) they could well have accessed your email and have since changed the email address associated with the account.

That is what they have done i've just sorted all that out now with my isp and that was a game !

Have you checked to see if the emails have been filtered as spam?

Yeah checked that nothing i'm afraid.

Have you clicked any links in steam chat or from other websites recently?

Do you use your steam password for any other online accounts etc?

Nope not clicked on anything was working at 6pm yesterday tried at 10pm and i couldn't get my password to work.

Pretty cheesed off they don't reply sooner someone could be game hacking on my account and i lose out on all those games seems unfair to me if that happens.

Yeah I hate when people say that too. I've had Steam for 5 years now and never, ever had a single account related problem. By the way, I bet they got his E-Mail password because guaranteed he was using the same password for both his Steam account and his E-Mail address. Probably uses the same password for here too.

It's nothing to do with your ISP, you need to be more vigilant.

Well to be honest i'm not to bothered what you think I know that both passwords were different and i also know what my isp said as it is there email service i use the guy was very helpful and said they'd be looking into this more.

He also knew about Steam ( as he uses them) and said thats what must have happened.

I ran a check on my computer for a key logger found nothing and i definitely haven't given anyone else my account details.

I just hope i get my steam account back and working soon .

What AV / Security software / Router are you using?

Did you change the password on your ISP E-Mail address since? And did you E-Mail Steam photos of game boxes/serials. If so then you should probably have your account back soon.

If I was you though I'd probably make a new Gmail account or something and just create a completely random password for it and then associate that account with your Steam account if and when you get it back.

Yes i sent pictures of the games and serial codes but a couple of games i bought online also took a screen shot of the email i was sent when i used Email address verification tool.

Also have changed my password on the email account as well.

I have a netgear DG834GT and run Avira antivirus premier.

Thanks for the replies so far sorry if I've sound grump but we've just had a new born baby and a couple hours of kip a night and now this has about tipped me over the edge lol :P

There are plenty of ways someone can get your details without having a keylogger on your computer. If you use internet cafes or other wifi zones they can do man in the middle attacks and decrypt SSL or if you use outlook to check your emails these are sent over plain text if you don't use secure mail servers and a simple sniffer could pick those up.

You could have a keylogger on your machine as most antivirus programs won't detect all the commercial keyloggers out there because they aren't classed as viruses. Your best bet is to use a firewall like Comodo which allows application control so if an unknown application tries to access the internet it pops up saying "Blah.exe is trying to connect to..." and you know something is up. I had this on my parents machine once. AVG didn't detect it at all but they had Comodo which had been blocking all attempts for the keylogger to upload the log files. Thanks to Comodo I checked the path to the exe file and found the log files there containing all their private data.

I promptly removed AVG and wiped the computer to start afresh and haven't used AVG since then. I still use Comodo for application control, however, as that is the only way I will know 100% that something undetected is trying to upload stuff!

Thank will look into Comodo .

Back
Top Bottom