steam hwsurvey - no change

Associate
July update shows no change in VR headsets since June (unless a+0.01% for the Rift counts).

I hope the figures aren't accurate, VR ownership needs to steadily grow

Soldato
No way tthese figures are up to date when everywhere was sold out just a week ago. Anyway, the proof is in the pudding, VR is no gimmick like nvidia 3d vision and its not going anywhere.

Soldato
No way tthese figures are up to date when everywhere was sold out just a week ago. Anyway, the proof is in the pudding, VR is no gimmick like nvidia 3d vision and its not going anywhere.

You don't see anything wrong in saying that with no backup?

Slam just mentioned the hwsurvey figures and they are both very low and not increasing.

Man of Honour

Steam hardware survey can take 2-3 months sometimes to fully reflect changes but its probably not got the best detection of VR either.

Anecdotally though I'm seeing a lot of earlier adopters selling their VR stuff on Facebook, etc. and it doesn't seem to be to fund more updated versions, etc. though that is somewhat an assumption based on extrapolating where they do mention it.

Soldato
Anecdotally though I'm seeing a lot of earlier adopters selling their VR stuff on Facebook, etc. and it doesn't seem to be to fund more updated versions, etc. though that is somewhat an assumption based on extrapolating where they do mention it.
The pudding is the actual experience of VR. Just read first impressions threads, people are"wowed", "blown away", "couldnt believe how good VR was" etc etc. Even if some are selling on their current gen sets, they will buy Vive2/CV2 and hence there are incentives to make them. The platform is just too good to fail - that is my point.

Associate
OP
I hope so - hardware preferences aside VR is still in a fragile state and not remotely profitable at the moment. In a way I'm glad I didn't get the headset until now, only now am I seeing the sort of quality games I want. The first generation of games is a bit too hit and miss for my taste. Now that the experimentation is settling down and time has been taken to develop games like Mages Tale and Lone Echo there are AAA titles to encourage everyone along.

I'm hoping Facebook, HTC, Valve, Sony and others do have the ambition to invest and push the technology along for a decade (or more).

Man of Honour
Soldato
Nope steam just randomly polls a cross section of the user base each month - IIRC currently you have something like 1 in 7 chance of being surveyed in any given year.
I'm no statistician (spell check just proved that :D ) but with quite a niche field that's is going to play havoc with getting credible data surely?

Man of Honour
I'm no statistician (spell check just proved that :D ) but with quite a niche field that's is going to play havoc with getting credible data surely?

Large enough sample size will be roughly representative even if not an exact reflection of the whole. Its an accepted way of doing it in most industries.

Associate
I wonder how they detect a headset? Does it need to be plugged in? Does it look for oculus home files etc
When prompted to submit the survey, it checks whether SteamVR is detecting a headset I think. I had to go back and switch on my Vive before submitting my hardware results. Pretty sure it'll be the same with the Rift.

Associate
OP
all this time I thought the survey was collected automatically by the Steam app. You can trust these big multi-national companies not to harvest your information after all :)

Soldato
I had a second hand rift CV1 for about 8 months before it died outside of warranty. I love VR experience but at no point have I missed it since it died and have not thought of replacing it. VR is a great experience but current VR headsets have serious IQ problems I cannot simply come to terms with.

• SDE
  • God rays
  • Low res
  • Focus issues
  • Low FOV
  • Low adoption rate means not mainstream
  • No triple A game support (as a consequence of the above)

I want VR to succeed but unless a much better level of IQ is attained, at a more affordable price to make it mainstream, I cannot see it succeed. It's just far, far too niche right now.

Associate
I'd say the last 4 points are more specific to you.

I have no focus issues with the vive, with the smaller foam surround the FOV is very good. As far as mainstream goes... not quite sure of the point. i know a few people who have them, hundreds of thousands have been sold (vive alone let alone rift with its FB backing and psVR)
Tripple A games...you know fallout 4 is being redesigned for VR, as are the serious sam games, payday 2...i'm guessing you've not played robo recall, arizona sunshine, john wick, batman etc
plenty of polished titles out and in the pipeline.

Associate
I find that steam is more likely to survey you if you sign in on a new device or one you haven't signed in on in a while - I often seem to get the survey on my laptop, which sucks.

I actually had it for the first time in ages on my main desktop last night - my rift happened to be plugged in, so it detected it. I don't think it would have otherwise.

However, it thinks I only have a single 1080ti and not SLI as I had been coin mining and SLI was turned off - by the time it popped up it was too late to enable it.

Stuff like this sometimes distorts it I think.

Back
Top Bottom