STEAM now UK pricing!

Soldato
:eek:I am Pleased with this.

We seem to have more realistic prices now.

For eample - GTR Evolution COMPLETE is £16.99 now.

Is $44.99.

Kudos to VALVE.

Last edited:

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Why should it be cheaper? The cost of the box/DVD is countered by the cost of the bandwidth to download, so just because its downloadable doesn't mean it should be cheaper. Also because its downloadable you have the added benifit of being able to get the game much faster then going to a store and buying it there (this depends on connection, and how far you are from a store, but generaly it seems true).

this has been covered before

with box copies they will need to be stored in staffed warehouses/store shelf's as well as the cost of producing the actual manual and box

the cost of hosting the download server and bandwidth wont be as much as that

as for getting the game earlier most steam games are locked till the releas date and the vast majority of people can get their copy before that date if they order from the right place

IMO steam games should be £5 or so cheaper

Soldato
this has been covered before

with box copies they will need to be stored in staffed warehouses/store shelf's as well as the cost of producing the actual manual and box

the cost of hosting the download server and bandwidth wont be as much as that

as for getting the game earlier most steam games are locked till the releas date and the vast majority of people can get their copy before that date if they order from the right place

IMO steam games should be £5 or so cheaper

Boxes and manuals cost pennies to make. For new games you are right about getting a copy on the release date, but for games already released, you can purchase a game in under a min, then download at high speed.

Also if steam games were cheaper, retail stores would lose a lot of customers and would end up refusing to sell games that are much cheaper on steam simply because it wont be worthwhile for them.

Personaly i think steam have got their prices right, there is no need for them to lower them any further IMO.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
well the average price of a new PC game is 24.99 - 29.99

maybe steam should price it the same or inbetween like 27.99 or something

now they have UK prices this is less of an issue

i remember if i wanted to get left 4 dead via steam it will cost around £33
when jersey and co had it for 24.99

Soldato
Knew they would have to get round to this sooner or later. Their prices were ridiculous and I'm sure it being in dollars would have put some people off too. Good move, but the prices could still be improved upon.

Permabanned
I just recently watched the Max Payne movie which has made me feel like playing through the games again.

Is £8.99 for Max Payne 1 & 2 an okay price or not? And does the first game work in XP properly? I know the boxed version needed a patch to work on XP and I seem to remember hearing the Steam version has some issues. If anyone bought them through Steam I'd appreciate hearing how it was for you.

Associate
Why should it be cheaper? The cost of the box/DVD is countered by the cost of the bandwidth to download, so just because its downloadable doesn't mean it should be cheaper. Also because its downloadable you have the added benifit of being able to get the game much faster then going to a store and buying it there (this depends on connection, and how far you are from a store, but generaly it seems true).

Doesn't Steam use P2P?

It should be cheaper. End of story.

Soldato
Just bought civ3, stupid not to at £3, wonder if its a price **** up or just a really good offer!

As people saying about games being more expensive, factor in the cost of needing to wait for delivery / travel costs to get to a shop etc etc, I dont mind paying an extra £5 to stay warm and play the game within an hour of purchasing.

Soldato

With Steam, there's no retailers or distributors taking their cut, so the developers get more of the money on a Steam sale than they would on a retail one. Therefore yes, they can definitely afford to make Steam a bit cheaper.

At least the UK-localised pricing seems to have brought the prices a bit closer to reality than they were before. How people could actually defend the old prices, I have no idea. More money than sense maybe.

Caporegime
I just recently watched the Max Payne movie which has made me feel like playing through the games again.

Is £8.99 for Max Payne 1 & 2 an okay price or not? And does the first game work in XP properly? I know the boxed version needed a patch to work on XP and I seem to remember hearing the Steam version has some issues. If anyone bought them through Steam I'd appreciate hearing how it was for you.

What is the film like? I want to see it...Yet I'm edgey about going :p

ALD

ALD

Associate

Im playing through 1 & 2 steam versions fine on vista so should be no problem on xp.

Caporegime
Look on IMDB - mixed reviews there but as a fan of the games I personally enjoyed it a lot :) I think it was a good effort and they captured the noir feel of the games.

Gooooood, glad it's decent then :) I'll watch it regardless at some point anyway! As the games are awesome.

My friend just told me the people who made the game pretty much backed off from the film making and wanted nothing to do with it or something...But his opinions can be a bit odd at times.

Soldato
whats the point of box? :) i bought l4d with box only because it was cheaper the box now is on the desk doing nothing..

because its still cheaper and i dont have to waste my bandwidth downloading the game. plus i can add the box to my collection of valve games i have bought over the years.

steam should be a couple of quid cheaper than any online store. on the older games they are now, but on the newer games there are better deals elsewhere.

Associate
How long it takes to download each game will depend on the size of the game and your internet connection.

As for backing up the games. Steam lets you backup any games you download to CD or DVD to be reinstalled on another machine or after a format. Never used Direct2Drive so no idea how they work.

So for backing up is it like an iso thingy?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom