1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Play - Play Windows games via Steam on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Tom B, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Tom B

Hitman

This is huge news. Basically steam is now acting as playonlinux/lutris and allowing you to launch games via WINE. But, valve haven't just done that, it turns out that they paid the DXVK developers which is why its progress has been so rapid and impressive. They have their own fork of WINE called proton that they're using in Steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

2. Hades

Capodecina

This is good news. I hope it doesn't prevent more native Linux games though.

3. AmateurExpert

Gangster

It will give some devs an excuse to not produce native games, but on the other hand it'll help grow the base of Linux gamers, and current gamers can benefit in the meantime. The alternative (of not having improvements to WINE) doesn't drive the production of native Linux games, not in the way that a growing addressable market would.

4. mortals

Mobster

This seems like an ok idea but as others have said it will probably mean developers will have an excuse to not put any time into developing linux native games.

Games developers might even use/re-purpose the tech to release non-native games across platforms like they did with cider (bundled wine) on mac os.

Benchmark example: GTAV (Cpu: i7 8700k Mem: 16GB Gpu: GTX 1080 Ti OS: Arch linux)

Looking at this benchmark it does seem pretty good with the right hardware.

I guess one good thing it does do is make wine more accessible for the average gamer.

5. adidan

Gangster

The only thing that's stopped me more than just loading random distros, tinkering and then going back to windows has been the gaming issue.

I've tried WINE and whatnot but Windows has always just dragged me back with its ease.

Attract more people over by make gaming easy, well it can only be a good thing. I've always enjoyed linux distros, I'd be happy not to touch W10 at home if I can.

6. Dianbobo

Gangster

I've got rid of windows now, slightly rash decision but everything is working fine at the moment :D

7. Hades

Capodecina

Oh. It seems that some people have managed to run Quake Champions on Proton (although some people get crashes). That is the only game I need to keep switching back to Windows for. This could be a game changer for me.

8. Tom B

Hitman

Honestly, short-mid term it doesn't matter. The reason I need to keep a windows installation is for gaming. If I can play my favourite games on Linux I'd prefer that, even at the expense of a few frames. If they can get 90% of games within 10% performance of Windows then people will switch. Most people don't care about the ideological difference between WINE and native games. Does my favourite game run or not?

If more people play games on Linux we should see better driver support for gaming hardware and more developers caring if/how their games run on Linux.

This breaks the catch 22: People won't switch to Linux because their games don't work, Developers won't won't support Linux because there's not enough market to make it profitable.

9. adidan

Gangster

That's been the crux of the issue.

Can I run my games as easy as I do on Windows or not? That's been my only reason for not using solely Linux. I don't care if they're Windows or native Linux.

Really interested to see how this goes. Fingers and toes crossed.

10. mortals

Mobster

Until they run into a problem maybe ...
    I think a bigger issue is will their favourite game be supported.
    When they get a problem who do they contact?

If you are depending on community driven technologies to run games, who does the support?

Also there are a lot of other issues with using wine to run games like getting banned by anti-cheat software (more recently league of legends had this problem)

If developers want to profit from linux users they should also need to support linux development & linux users
    Running AAA online games which have anticheat or DRM is still going to be a problem.

Hopefully this brings new gamers to linux but the reality is most gamers play games which have anti-cheat/drm included & most gamers also expect support.

11. Hades

Capodecina

I just ran Supreme Commander 2 on my laptop (Linux Mint 19, an old Thinkpad T530). I only tried the tutorial and it ran perfectly :)

12. adidan

Gangster

I agree the DRM games are currently an issue but do gamers expect support?

I'm not saying they don't but whenever I've had an issue i've always looked to gaming forums for the answers.

13. Zefan

Don

Really great news. I personally have never used support for games, only for platforms as a whole, for example Steam/Origin etc. This definitely makes fully dropping Windows more of a palatable option.

14. mortals

Mobster

Someone has made a compatibility tracker site where people can report how well certain games run using steam play.

https://spcr.netlify.com/ - Steam Play Compatibility Reports

Looks pretty good & could be a good starting point if you are curious about specific games.

It looks like most games with anticheat don't work (eg: paladins, smite, realm royale, PUBG)
    Also anything with denuvo drm etc :(

I also notice a few games have "status: completely stable" but in notes it says "game crashes .." (eg: World Of Tanks)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  15. pete910

Wise Guy

Can't get supcom 1 to run unfortunately :(

16. Hades

Capodecina

It occurred to me today that AMD GPU's are generally stronger in Vulkan than an equivalent NVidia GPU. Because Proton translates DX10 and DX11 calls to Vulkan it really does seem to make sense to stick with AMD now.