Storage/Games M2 SSD

Associate
Right, so to preface, I've never installed an m2 ssd before so I kinda need some advice.

So I've got a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard and apparently it has a M2 slot in it. Now I was to get a new SSD mostly for games (thanks gamepass :p) and other storage, as such I was thinking of getting a WD Blue SN550 2TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (S200T2B0C) or a Crucial P2 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 NVMe Solid State Drive P2 2TB M.2 2280 and I wanted to know which one would be the most reliable (I'm leaning towards the WD drive though).

Plus, having never installed an M2 before - would it be registered like any other drive? (I mean would it come up as Drive D or E or whatever or would it try to take the Drive C spot? Basically can I treat it like slapping in any other HDD) Or would it cause problems because Windows isn't going to be installed on it?

Soldato
I'd have a look at the prices of WD Black SN750s as they're very good at the moment.

You'll probably need to go into Disk Manager to initialise it then create a partition and finally format it. You can select the drive letter when you start the format. It's exactly the same as adding a SATA drive.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys - especially the about the install of the m2.

I'm gonna go with the WD Blue. The Black looks nice - but even with the current sale the price is a bit too much to justify ^_^;;

Associate
OP
Whelp I've now installed the WD M2 Drive, and apart from repeatedly dropping the screw, install was easy.

You were right though @Snapshot I did have to initialise and partition it before it showed up in Explorer.

Back
Top Bottom