Storage Question

Associate
Hello, I hope everyone is doing well this evening! (or whatever time zone you're in).

Quick question (I haven't built a new machine in 10 years):

I purchased a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2 to use as my main drive and 2x 16TB HDDs to run in Raid 1.

I was watching a video the other day and I saw someone mention that rather than use a single M.2 for your OS / Programs and Scratch Disk, that it would be better to split it up and use one M.2 for your OS / Programs and use the other for a Scratch Disk (Photoshop / Premiere ETC)

So would I be better off returning this 2TB 980 Pro and purchasing 2x 1TB 980 Pros and use one for the main OS etc and the other for a Scratch Disk?

Thank you very much in advance!

Associate
OP
Thank you everyone for the replies! I forgot to ask if partitioning the drive would do the same thing, appreciate everyone for pointing that out.
I too, didn't see a NEED to go this way, but this guy swore by it so I thought I was ask the pro's.

Thank you for that link, I will definitely check it out today. As to the ram, I currently have 32GB DDR5 sitting in my closet ready to go, I wanted at least 64GB this go around but you know how the DDR5 supply is. The plan is to wait a bit until it becomes a bit more readily available and then bump the capacity / speed up.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom