Stories to console those who havent read the manual properly thread (?)

Associate
ahh that nice electrical burnt out smell, no need for test gear , the nose tell it all

Reminds me a bit of when I installed a new motherboard and thought "thats a funny place for an led". It wasnt an led but a little black square on the mobo turning orange before smoke started to come off it.

Thought I'd add the reason why it happened: Didnt use the mobo risers and it must have shorted the mobo when it was touching the case.

Last edited:
I bought a Biostar 200V Barebones from the B-grades section, so no manual. No problem as I'd built 4 or 5 of these previously, but I connected the single sided USB connector the wrong way around to one half of a 9-pin header.

Biostar's have hard-soldered fuses and it blew. Bright red spot on the board and a strong smell of (a) melted solder and (b) fear.

I never read the manual for my new case when i got it, i didn't realise i had to screw those mounting screws into the motherboard tray THEN screw the motherboard onto them. The computer wouldn't boot up at all. Realised my mistake at about 11.30pm that night and had to take everything out the case, screw the mounting screws in and put everything back in. Was a nightmare. it worked though, which is a wonder :rolleyes:

Well I read the manual, but I had connected the USB cables up wrong to the motherboard, and plugged in my USB pen drive.

Nothing really happened, so I go to take it out.

Turns out the plastic on the USB pen near the connector was pretty hot, and had started to kind of melt a bit.

Tell me about it, was trying to set up my router this summer. Couldn't get the DHCP to work at all. Turned out I was turning everything on in the wrong order. WOuld have taken 5 mins otherwise.

When I get a new toy, manuals always seem to just be a speed bump to the fun. It always perplexes me when games come with huge manuals. Who reads them?

Back
Top Bottom