Stormland

Soldato
Got around to picking it up yesterday, and enjoyed the hour or so I had through the welcome to the world tutorial.

Very impressed with character models in terms of the detail, the scale and sense of presence in their movements feels very real. Through the tutorial it's fairly standard stuff, learning movement and interactions, the standout for me was the ripping off your arm to replace it with a new one, that felt very real Boneworks style. I thought the glide mechanics fell a little short, id liked them more if you had a leap/thrust ability at the edge of your destination, rather than an abrupt stop on a level beach landing (think a transformers style leaping in to action). Even though I've only played with the smg and the shotgun, I can see where the criticism about weight of the weapons comes from. The projectile could be the culprit, the smg and shotgun fire projectiles sound and visually look weak. The two hands on the smg and shotgun feel a little bit funny too, awkward, but i feel more like it's to do with the holding them in fresh air awkwardness at a midriff level. At no point do you feel a badass while holding two hands, but with dual or one handed smg's you kind of do.

Very impressed with the look of the level design, the old abandoned structures in the sprawling jungle is very visually appealing and gives you plenty of opportunity to grip and climb around on. It's imposable for me to comment on the overarch of the game having only done the tutorial, but I sense the comments I've seen could be valid as I've seen simple objective based tasks in the limited island hop world they've set out.

Surprised with the performance to having seen a lot of negative comments. Defaulted to the ultra settings without changing any external factors on the Index beside forgetting it was in 144hz mode, through revive it was absolutely flawless in the movement of the screen, it was gliding without a single stutter. That's one of the reasons why I was so impressed with my fellow robot buddies in the base camp with the presence, they felt so real being as smooth as they were moving around. There were one or two negatives mainly to do with the index controllers regarding the grip button the and climbing. The gripping sense on the index controls plays out, but is easily snagged in unwelcome situations, and taking the last step over ledges you've just climbed up on is very difficult.

To sum it up though, overall from what I've seen it'd be up in the 80% bracket. I think if your looking forward to HL Alex then you'll appreciate the level of detail and presence Stormland has (the palm menu and index is fantastic) so give it a shot on that basis alone.

Back
Top Bottom