strange one :/

Associate
ok this is a strange one.... one to test the experts

my pc hung on shut down. i restarted and althogh it starts up when it got to the password screen (win 2k pro sp4) the keyboard didnt seem to work. the keyboard is a ps2 connection. the mouse works fine (usb).

the keyboard works fine in the bios. it seems to lock at some point during the startup - the caps lock does not toggle the light.

i have on two occasions managed to get the keyboard to work by booting up in safe mode with command prompt. on some occasions using this form of boot up the keyboard still doesnt respond.

i have tried a new keyboard still no joy.

i restored a virgin image on a different hdd and same problems.

i was thinking motherboard but then why would it work 100% of the time in bios mode. why would the keyboard work 100% time in acronis true image s/w ?

if it is s/w then why would the problem replicate in a fresh image ?

i am confused

can anyone help ??????????

If it works in the BIOS then that rules out harware issues i think.
Which suggests it could be caused by a dodgy ps2 driver, except i have a feeling that ps2 is driverless.
My only other thought is irq's. Being win2k that is possible.
Somewhere in control panel/system you can find a list of irq's. See if there is one for the keyboard and see if there are any conflicts or its shared with something else. Try changing it around.
Its a long time since i've used 2k and i can't remember exactly where the irq options are, somewhere hidden in the system tab i think.

Certainly not an everyday problem that...
I remember fixing an irq problem once by moving a card to a different pci slot. It worked in one slot but not in another, because the irq of one of the slots was shared with the onboard graphics. Thankfully they fixed the irq rubbish in xp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom