Strange PSU Problem (video)

Soldato
Link to 9MB Video File

I also noticed this weird flickering sometimes during gameplay when it has short bursts of high-demand things to process on the screen.

Made this video just now, I'm running a Tagan 480w PSU, and was wondering, is this evidence that my PSU has run out of juice?

But also, how can simple scrolling of some webpage be so demanding?

/edit: just found the upload host recompressed my video so you cant see the flickering of the blue fans :( I'll see if i can upload it elsewhere..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok sorted. Just click the button that says "Free" then wait for a countdown then it'll give you a link to click on to download the video.

Sorry for making you do this, though it was the best i could do :o

Permabanned
Ive never laughed so much out loud at something thats not funny :p
Thats one loud mouse aswell.
I quote : "how incredibly bizarre" :D

I would put it down to the PSU, what is it like in games? And also, does the samething happen if you just push page up and down,(not using the mouse).

MC_Bob

Soldato
OP
mc_bob said:
Ive never laughed so much out loud at something thats not funny :p
Thats one loud mouse aswell.
I quote : "how incredibly bizarre" :D

I would put it down to the PSU, what is it like in games? And also, does the samething happen if you just push page up and down,(not using the mouse).

MC_Bob
yeah thats not how I normally talk btw lol (before you all start calling me a posh talking twit :o ;)

But yeah it happens with page up and down aswell.

In games its normally ok, but I see it flicker every so often when it's doing something demanding, like when its just about to load a new map for example.

Its not that I notice any actual 'issues' as such, but was wondering if this is evidence that my PSU is being pushed to its max, or if this is ok

Soldato
OP
Explicit said:
What's the rest of your spec?

Dual nvidia 6800 Ultra's
5 SATA HDDs
1 Optical Drive
3700+ San Diego @ 3 GHz 1.74v
Creative SB Audigy 2
Lanparty SLI-DR Mobo

4 case fans, 2 that you see in the video, the other 2 at the front (these are the round UV cathode attached fans, the cathodes require an inverter etc just like a normal CC)

The Mach II is connected to a molex, but I dont think it draws any power seeing as it has its own power supply too.

Permabanned
1.74V :eek: Bit high.
But seeing your spec your PSU doesnt really seem high enough.
If you have nother PSU try running all the harddrives off of the lower power PSU. You can run a PSU not plugged into the mobo by grounding the green wire on the mobo header.

MC_Bob

Associate
Heofz said:
Dual nvidia 6800 Ultra's
5 SATA HDDs
1 Optical Drive
3700+ San Diego @ 3 GHz 1.74v
Creative SB Audigy 2
Lanparty SLI-DR Mobo

4 case fans, 2 that you see in the video, the other 2 at the front (these are the round UV cathode attached fans, the cathodes require an inverter etc just like a normal CC)

The Mach II is connected to a molex, but I dont think it draws any power seeing as it has its own power supply too.

That's quite a lot of power-hungry parts there. I think you should upgrade your power supply soon. I'm pretty sure that will get rid of the flickering.

Try running:

stock 3700
1 hard drive
one 6800
2 case fans

See if the flickering goes away.

Soldato
OP
mc_bob said:
1.74V :eek: Bit high.
But seeing your spec your PSU doesnt really seem high enough.
If you have nother PSU try running all the harddrives off of the lower power PSU. You can run a PSU not plugged into the mobo by grounding the green wire on the mobo header.

MC_Bob
1.74v is fine as its running well below 0°C ;)

will try these experiments and get back to y'all

Soldato
OP
fornowagain said:
That's got to be the 12v dropping down, have you measured it?
nope, would I be right in assuming i need a multimeter?
(btw, both those cans fans are mounted on the motherboard headers - good idea to put LED fans on mobo fan headers?)

Soldato
Heofz said:
nope, would I be right in assuming i need a multimeter?
(btw, both those cans fans are mounted on the motherboard headers - good idea to put LED fans on mobo fan headers?)
DMM, yes good investment, pocket ones for a £10.

Fan headers, should be ok, depends on how much current they use.

Back
Top Bottom