Streaming servers or equiverlent

Associate
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help. We have an internal server that we run a radio station from its all totally legal PPA and everything paid. We currently pay a company to stream this for us

so basically you can go to http:\\blahblah\radio you can hear our station, from my undesrtanding this is just mapped to our ip and a port number.
I can also open up media player and go to file open url and enter the ip and port number and listen to the music.

Is there anyway we can do this ourselves.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but isnt all we need to do is to map a domain to a ip and port number or is it more complicated than this?

Thanks

Hi Swifty,

From what I understand of the set up there is a program that does all the radio mixing and that from there it outputs to windows media encoder which then outputs it.

From there things get a bit blurry. Like i say from outside the network we can listen in via our ip address and port number or go to the website which points to that ip address.

I dont think bandwidth would be much of an issue as they will not be that many listeners.

Hi Swifty,

From what I understand of the set up there is a program that does all the radio mixing and that from there it outputs to windows media encoder which then outputs it.

From there things get a bit blurry. Like i say from outside the network we can listen in via our ip address and port number or go to the website which points to that ip address.

I dont think bandwidth would be much of an issue as they will not be that many listeners.

Right, it seems that you already stream the station off your server. The website just directs it to the server address.

So I'm a little confused on what you want to do yourself?

You can host a website yourself from the same server to save 'costs' if required.

Although I may be thinking a completely different thing.

Thanks Swifty,

Thats what i was thinking that the domain name is just pointing to the server.

So in theory i could go to a hosting company and get a domain name then how would i get this to point to the server? we dont want to host a website just when you click on http:\\example.com it opens up the media stream .

Basically its the company are in my opinion charging a lot for the service if it is just a domain name and a bit of hosting

Right I think im getting there. I have created a .asx file that points to the external ip and port.

Code:
<ASX Version="3.0">
<ENTRY>
<TITLE>Tesy</TITLE>
<AUTHOR>test</AUTHOR>
<COPYRIGHT>test</COPYRIGHT>
<REF href = "http://x.x.x.x:xxx"/>
</ENTRY>
</ASX>

Now this works fine from outside the network. From home I can here it fine.
I can link it in a web page via
Code:
<a href="test.asx"> TEST </a>
or
Code:
<embed src='test.asx' autostart='true' />

However from inside the network I cant hear anything.

I think this is something to do with DNS??? The computers inside the network need to get outside the network before they can look for the external ip? is there a easy way around this?

Or another though i had was i could have 2 links one for external computers and one for internal ones.

But would there be a way to have a script on a web page that can identify if the computer is internal or external and redirect it automatically?

After talkin to our grid it turns out that the NAT is all messed up and there is not going to be and DNS im the Wan? Anyway to cut the story short I can't use a IP address to get media player to work as the firewalls are not intelligent enough to get the traffic totally out the system before it comes back in.

So is there a way to take the stream from our server and use some kind of player to embed it on a website but one that does it web server side so that the IP address doesn't matter ?

Back
Top Bottom