Strongest moment of drama

Man of Honour
What piece of telly or film, specifically a particular part not a whole episode or film, do you consider to be the most compelling and moving few minutes that you've ever witnessed?

I've had a few in the past, notably the bit in Excalibur when Arthur is dying and instructs one of his knights to take the sword and throw it into the lake, quite a few scenes from Brett's Sherlock Holmes, and the bit in the 1984 Moroder rehash of Metropolis where the bird comes out on stage in the gentlemens club and dances always sends shivers down my spine (not that there was any acting in it as such just that it was very moving).

The thing I just watched almost moved me to tears though, and it was completely unexpected because to some extent, the programme the scene was in could be classed as a soap opera. Also, I watched it once when I was 12 or 13 and can't remember it having any effect on me.

It was the first few minutes of the pilot episode of Twin Peaks, from the point where Laura Palmer's body is discovered to when her father is told at the hotel whilst his worried wife is on the phone. I can't believe how powerful and realistic the portrayal of such a tragedy was!

Back
Top Bottom