Stupid Firewire -.-

Associate
Okay, I am at my ends wit with my stupid computer.

Spec:-

AMD 146 Opteron @ 2.5ghz
2gb G.skill DDR500 ram
Leadtek 7800GT @ stock
WD 250gb HDD
Motherboard is Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI with on board 1394a and b.

Now. When I connect my camcorder up to either the 1394a/b or my PCI card with 3 firewire ports on. Nothing.......window sees nothing. -.-

Windows says the card is there but nothing happens. No "windows has found your camcorder"

I have tried formatting, new drivers(the ones from my mobo disk as well) for the firewire card and onboard, different firewire cables.

Does anyone have any other ideas. I've run out, I'm at a total awe as to why it isn't working :(

Please help me ! >.<

Associate
I don't wish to mock you but is your camera in playback mode. Most will only get recognised by your PC if they are switched to playback mode. I know that I spent a bit of time sitting infront of my PC waiting for something to happen when actually I only had to flick a button over on my camera.

It's best to check small possible problems before big things

Associate
Have you tried alternate firewire leads from your camera to the port?

Have you ever had anything connected via firewire on this mobo?

I take it that windows lets you see that there is a firewire PCI card in device manager?

If niether the onboard or PCI work I suspect it could be a mobo problem, saying that I'm not too high on the hardware side. I'm not sure if they connect to the same place - a "firewire controller" if they do that could well be gone wrong.

I do know that premiere is a brilliant programme but tempermental sometimes when it comes to firewire.

hmmm... I think that it's worth getting hold of another lead from port to camera if you haven't already

Soldato
Does Firewire have to be enabled in the bios?

Are the firewire ports showing up as working in Windows? Or are they showing up as unknown devices?

Soldato
mine does this.
the cam drivers are installed but it just decides when it wants to pick it up, massive hassle.

i think it's due to cheap cable but not sure

Associate
OP
Yes it is enabled in bios, it does show up in device manager fine and theres noa conflicts or driver cannot start rubbish. I've tried Several different cables as ive already mentioned.

I tried connecting my ipod into the rear firewire PCI card and it locks it up for some strange reason.

Back
Top Bottom