Stupid Mistake!!

Soldato
Stupid Mistake!! (Updated)

Hi all,

Was taking my girlfriend home yesterday and in between where we live there is a quiet back road which you drive on for around 2 miles, I admit the road isnt perfectly straight so letting her have a go of my car wasnt the best idea!!

It was around 1am last night when I agreed to let her have a quick drive along this quiet road, keeping in mind she hasnt passed her test yet but is ready to go in for it (i am not making excuses), so all was going well and she seemed to be driving okay until a car got real close behind us and she started to get nervous, turned out it was the police and we were pulled over for a routine check apparantly.

I can honestly say I have never saw another police car on this road esecially not at this time of night, infact I rarely see any other cars to be honest.

So we admit to her not having a license straight up and no insurance and realise we have made a stupid mistake!!

We both had formal interviews just confirming the above that I owned the car, was insured etc and she didnt have a license or insurance.

After the interview we were sent on our way but told to expect a letter within a week with a court date, now I realise this is more my responsobility than hers and I am expecting to take most of the blame in court but any ideas what I should expect to recieve.

I am only 20 with just over 1 years driving expierence so anymore than 6 points and I lose my license, I totally admit this to being my fault and will do so in court and will not begrudge paying a fine for my mistake and learn from it but I really dont want to lose my license over this.

Anyone else been in similar circumstances or have any advice?

Thanks, Sam

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tell me, Hyper, when you say you were formally interviewed was it in a PACE recording booth or did you have to sign statements?

We were both interviewed in the police car, it seemed quite formal just confirming what had happend then we both had to sign.

It may be worth noting they said "it may end up at court" but I fully expect it to come to that because when you look at the facts it does sound very bad on paper (uninsured, no license and me not being old enough).

After having a good day of thinking about it I have just came to accept I will get atleast 6 points and a £200 fine so it looks like that test centre will not be such a thing of the past :(

Which is a big price to pay for a stupid mistake but as a few people have mentioned it could have been a lot worse and I have definatly learned from my mistake which is what punishment is all about I suppose. I best start saving now because once I get through all this my insurance is going to be pricey!

If they are in any form leniant in court then I will come out overjoyed and I will keep you all informed if you want?

Thanks for all the comments aswell :)

Soldato
OP
Still wouldn't mind knowing what road it was?

It was on Pennyfine Road coming out of Sunniside,

We swapped seats just before Old Ravensworth and got pulled over just before the round a bout at Lamesly.

Not the best road I will admit but its not narrow and visitbility was good.

Again I will say I am making no excuses, I know I did wrong and will definatly learn from this!

Soldato
OP
Just an update for anyone whos interested,

Got my summons through the post this morning and I have been given the option to plead guilty by post, plead guilty and go to court and plead not guilty.

Obviously I am going to plead guilty but not sure how to go about it,

The offences listed are:

Permitting (my girlfriend) to drive a motor vehicle, then my car details and the road it was on, otherwise than in accordance with a license authorising her to drive a motor vehicle of that class. Contrary to section 87(2) of the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988. Contrary to secton 87(2) of the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988.
This offence carries penalty points.

And:

Using a motor vehicle, my car details and the road again, when there was not in force in relation to that use such a policy of insurance or such security in respect of a third party risks are complied with the requirements of part vi of the road traffic act 1988 contrary to section 143 as amended by the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988 as ammended by the road traffic act 1991. Contrary to section 143 of the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988.
THis offence carries penalty points.

The date at court is the 22nd of december, will be a nice xmas present if i lose my license :(

Will keep you all updated though and any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Just a quick question,

If I do get 6 points at court and go back to a provisional license, once I have done my theory and practical again and hopefully passed :rolleyes:

How will i go about my insurance, because I am not planning on cancelling my insurance because I have payed it all off anually. When I pass again is this classed as a new license so when they ask how long have you held your license I will have to say 0 months?

Also how will this effect my no claims bonus because I already have one year and was hoping for another once this years insurance is up.

Just a bit confused as to how it will all work.

Thanks, Sam

Soldato
OP
, Wouldn't mind knowing how you got on Hyper?

Went to court yesterday for the first time in my life only to expierence a very unorganised bunch of people!!

Upon arrival I was told to fill out another plea form with all my earnings and outgoings etc even though I had already done all these forms and sent these in a good week in advance so I didnt bother.

Then after a short wait my girlfriend was called into a court room but not me and then they realised it was a combined case and called me in late.

We were then asked if we had our plea forms only for us to reply nervously that we had sent them in, only for them to realise that she was sitting right infront of them.

So she read out our plea form and comments then it went to the judges without even giving us a chance to speak, at first they thought I had no insurance either until the police explained it wasnt the case and it was just for me permitting. This didnt fill me with much hope as they really seemed clueless and after they talked amongst themselves for 2minutes they came to the decision we would both get 6 points and a £145 each.

When I asked if I could make any comments I was told I could say what I wanted but it wouldnt make any difference and they said they could have gave me 8 points so I was lucky just to get 6.

It was pointless going to court and getting all dressed up to be honest because everyone else there was just local riff raff and we were dealt with exactly the same like they didnt want to give us the time of day.

Another thing that annoyed me was the fact they didnt explain that I could still drive until I get a letter from the dvla with the date that my license will be revoked.

So now I am just waiting on this letter and then I have to apply for my provisional again and then do my theory and practical test. I have already spoken to my old driving instructor and arranged that once I pass my theory again he will fit me in for a few lessons and try and book my test.

Another thing though is that I have just been offered to go for an interview with BT for a Telecoms Engineer Apprenticship but this requires a full driving license, now the interview is on the 25th, should I just attend and explain my situation as best I can knowing it will do me no favours...

I am gutted about the whole thing but you live and learn I suppose,

Thanks, Sam

Soldato
OP
I see this topic has caused quite a stir between a few members on here,

All I can say is I have definatly learned my lesson at a huge cost but life goes on and once my license is revoked I will be getting back in for my test asap.

Thanks for all the advice and comments & Merry Xmas :)

Soldato
OP
Another update to this never ending case :mad:

The letters came through today from the DVLA and the court,

From the DVLA's point of view my license has been revoked as of today and I am to send my counterpart and plastic license off to them asap and apply for another provisional, this was my plan anyway.

But then when I looked at what the court have written on my counterpart I have been given offence codes LC24 (permitting someone to drive without a license) but 0 points and IN10 (driving without insurance) and the fine and 6 points.

Now this is all well apart from I was expecting to be given the code IN14 (permitting someone to drive without insurance) as this is what I pleaded guilty to in court.

So I spoke to the court today and they said I pleaded guilty to driving without insurance and there seems to be a bit of confusion so the case will have to be reopened but this can take two weeks. They asked me to send a letter in explaining the sitation and ask for the case to be reopened but until then there is nothing I can do.

So I then rang the DVLA asking what I should do about sending my license to them because obviously it has the wrong codes on and will have to be looked at again in court but they have asked me to still send it in and they will also contact the court.

To top it all off when I spoke to the court they have me down as defendant not present at court even though I was there on the day :|

I am going to write a letter to the court tomorrow like they have asked and send off my license to the DVLA but this just means it drags out the process of me applying for another license.

So back to the busses as of today for me and god knows when I will be able to get back in for my theory and practical test.

It makes me wonder how a court can be so useless...

Soldato
OP
Just a quick update for anyone whos interested,

It took around 3 weeks to get another provisional from the DVLA after a lot of phone calls,

Then got straight in for my theory test at the start of Feb and passed and booked my practical test the same day,

It was yesterday and I passed first time with two minors (same as my last test),

I had 6 hours worth of driving lessons with my old driving instructor and felt test ready but was still fairly nervous yesterday morning!!

I payed my insurance outright last october so didnt cancel my policy, rang them up as soon as I got in yesterday to inform them of my convictions and all is well and I am now back on the road.

Ran an insurance quote and when I come to renew it will go up around £200 but thats a lot less than I expected,

Lesson learnt!!

On a side note I never heard anything back from the courts (surprise surprise),

Thanks for all the advice,

Sam

Back
Top Bottom