Stupid question - how do I get a new tyre fitted?

Soldato
Spotted a screw in my rear tyre, luckily just before setting off on a long ride. This has never happened to me before, I mean, I've taken bikes to the garage to have worn tyres replaced but I can hardly ride this thing.

Assuming I need to find a mobile tyre fitter?

It's a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 180/60 zr17 so might be punchy on the wallet.

IMG_5021.jpg

Man of Honour
Mobile fitters for bike tyres are very rare in my experience, it's worth learning how to drop the wheels out yourself pretty straight forward.

Soldato
OP
Just had a response from my Ducati dealer (this late on a Saturday :cool:). They advised I ride it to a bike tyre fitter which is about 8 miles from where I am. Then if it deflates I can use my Ducati roadside assistance. Well miffed about this screw though, but I know it happens to us all.

Soldato
OP
Jesus mine's only £25 total to fit on the bike, not worth it for me. Nor can I be bothered / have the time! :p
Agree! I'm purely in it for the ride. Not into tinkering and all the mechanical stuff. Have I done the bolts up right? Is the chain tension right? I just wouldn't trust myself - and like you say there's the time element.

Man of Honour
Agree! I'm purely in it for the ride. Not into tinkering and all the mechanical stuff. Have I done the bolts up right? Is the chain tension right? I just wouldn't trust myself - and like you say there's the time element.

Do you not adjust the chain?

Soldato
I think I've adjusted my chain maybe two - three times in the past six years. If it needs doing again it gets done at the service. This current one will last me around 17,000 miles / four years, so perhaps I should take a bit more care. I generally check it every five hundred miles or so, or every day when touring.

Man of Honour
He probably gets it all done at the garage.

Chains don't need adjusting that often.

I guess it depends how much you ride. I do about 10,000 kms a year and need to adjust them at least once a year myself to keep it in spec.

I imagine most people don't care if it's out of spec, particularly if they don't ride much, and just let the garage do it once a year. Also bikes with low power output (well... torque) such as the Street Triple didn't need adjusting as much as my Tuono or MT-10.

I don't know how much difference it makes to chain life though as I've never kept a bike long enough to need the chain replacing. I think the longest was the Street Triple that I put 25,000km on in 2 years.

Soldato
I imagine most people don't care if it's out of spec, particularly if they don't ride much, and just let the garage do it once a year. Also bikes with low power output (well... torque) such as the Street Triple didn't need adjusting as much as my Tuono or MT-10.

Yup. I do about the same mileage as you a year and only adjust once a year. If I didn't do my own maintenance it'd definitely be something I'd get done alongside an oil change once a year at a garage.

Back
Top Bottom