Sub-£1k full-frame compacts

Associate
I've been using a Nikon D750 for years but hardly take it out these days due to the size and weight of it, but I do love it when I use it. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience of making the same journey from DSLR style handling and viewfinder to something like the Sony DSC-RX1 - how much of a compromise was it?

Caporegime
2012 Sony's AF wasn't great...so that is the biggest compromise I expect. I've never used one but did held it at a store in HK back then. My memory tells me that I felt it was too small, the flat grip, or the lack of a grip to be precise was uncomfortable and felt really dangerous to hold. The whole experience felt cramped and uncomfortable compared to my 5D at the time, which is expected.

This can be easily fixed with after-market grip though but the AF is the older contrast detect, not phase detect so you need to be aware of where the focus point is hitting. On the 5D2 and 5D3, when using outer points which are contrast detect, I make sure the focus points hits between 2 distinct things, like between the white shirt to the jacket collar, things like that.

Soldato
I was looking for something similar a few years back and ended up opting for the Sony A7c with a Samyang AF 35mm f2.8, its not much bigger but offers much more flexibility, quality and better handling with the added benefit of being interchangable. Even used though £1k might be stretch.

Associate
OP
2012 Sony's AF wasn't great...so that is the biggest compromise I expect. I've never used one but did held it at a store in HK back then. My memory tells me that I felt it was too small, the flat grip, or the lack of a grip to be precise was uncomfortable and felt really dangerous to hold. The whole experience felt cramped and uncomfortable compared to my 5D at the time, which is expected.

This can be easily fixed with after-market grip though but the AF is the older contrast detect, not phase detect so you need to be aware of where the focus point is hitting. On the 5D2 and 5D3, when using outer points which are contrast detect, I make sure the focus points hits between 2 distinct things, like between the white shirt to the jacket collar, things like that.
Ah yeah I bet bad AF would be quite annoying when used coming from a DLSR. I figure it would be on a strap when used so dropping less of an issue, but fiddly controls could be.

Associate
OP
I was looking for something similar a few years back and ended up opting for the Sony A7c with a Samyang AF 35mm f2.8, its not much bigger but offers much more flexibility, quality and better handling with the added benefit of being interchangable. Even used though £1k might be stretch.
Sounds like pushing the budget would be worthwhile in the long run. I'll take a look at what the lens options are for this system too.

Caporegime
Ah yeah I bet bad AF would be quite annoying when used coming from a DLSR. I figure it would be on a strap when used so dropping less of an issue, but fiddly controls could be.

I can't find it now, I had a look...but I remember when it came out, Digitalrev TV channel did a fun 3 way shootout between Kai, Lok and the girl (Tammy?) all using Sony Rx1, Fuji X100s and one other.

In the end they were fighting over the X100s.

(Their channel has lost quite a lot of videos it seems, no longer what it was, like there is a 2 part Amsterdam special that only p1 still online. There is a trailer for a Londer Special that the actual episode now gone)

Associate
OP
I can't find it now, I had a look...but I remember when it came out, Digitalrev TV channel did a fun 3 way shootout between Kai, Lok and the girl (Tammy?) all using Sony Rx1, Fuji X100s and one other.

In the end they were fighting over the X100s.

(Their channel has lost quite a lot of videos it seems, no longer what it was, like there is a 2 part Amsterdam special that only p1 still online. There is a trailer for a Londer Special that the actual episode now gone)
Those Fujis do seem popular, and I had the X100s after reading many glowing reviews. Although the images were nice I hated the handling, delay when shooting through the viewfinder, and ease of accidentally setting it to 1/4000s :p so I got rid it quite quickly!

Caporegime
Those Fujis do seem popular, and I had the X100s after reading many glowing reviews. Although the images were nice I hated the handling, delay when shooting through the viewfinder, and ease of accidentally setting it to 1/4000s :p so I got rid it quite quickly!

Yeah, I have the X100 original, from a pure tech perspective, it is clunky. I have to add a grip and thumb rest to mine (blocks the Shutter Speed dial, no accidental knock to 1/4000th). Don't like the off center optical viewfinder that is offset and shooting not what you see is what you get. The EVF is awful. Needs 2 hands to adjust focus points. But I keep it more as a collector's item now.

Personally, I think the mk2 of the RX1 would be the one to get but the prices are still high. For the X100, I wouldn't get lower than the F.

But I did get a couple of cools shots in Japan with the original X100.

xRPoGae.jpg

8Ael7Bn.jpg

5znS5Zz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom