Suddenly I am getting DPC_Watchdog_Violation

Associate
Hey all,

I had to attend a hospital appointment Thursday that led to an overnight stay and back Friday night.

Prior to this I had been using the PC Thursday morning with no issues, Today I turned it on and tried to use it only to be met with a complete system lockup and the stop code -

DPC_Watchdog_Violation

I reinstalled windows 11 - No difference
Installed windows 10 - slightly better but still occurred

I am now trying to decipher the best method to go forwards with this as its my gaming PC so not end of the world in terms of work etc however its nice to "play"

PC specs -

AMD 7900X3D
MSI X670E Carbon Wifi
Corsair Dominator Platinum 6000MHZ AMD EXPO DDR5
ROG Loki SFX-L 1000w Platinum

So I will install Windows 11 again and then begin the what the **** is wrong process.

Based on the below description, I'd say that malfunctioning drivers are the most likely culprit, because it sounds like something is getting stuck and drivers trigger the interrupts.

What USB, network and wireless devices do you have?

How do you install the drivers?

The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bug check has a value of 0x00000133. This bug check indicates that the DPC watchdog executed, either because it detected a single long-running deferred procedure call (DPC), or because the system spent a prolonged time at an interrupt request level (IRQL) of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

The value of Parameter 1 indicates whether a single DPC exceeded a timeout, or whether the system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at IRQL DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. DPCs should not run longer than 100 microseconds and ISRs should not run longer than 25 microseconds, however the actual timeout values on the system are set much higher.

For troubleshooting purposes I'd also put everything back to stock, reset any undervolts/curve optimisations, turn EXPO off and uninstall any motherboard, monitoring or RGB software.

Based on the below description, I'd say that malfunctioning drivers are the most likely culprit, because it sounds like something is getting stuck and drivers trigger the interrupts.

What USB, network and wireless devices do you have?

How do you install the drivers?

For troubleshooting purposes I'd also put everything back to stock, reset any undervolts/curve optimisations, turn EXPO off and uninstall any motherboard, monitoring or RGB software.

Thank you for this,

In terms of this its all around the motherboard

My plan tomorrow was to download the latest bios and drivers from the MSI website and do a clean install again with these.

I will be honest and admit I haven't looked at drivers since probably i originally deployed the PC with exception to NVIDIA.

is there a tool/software recommended for this it would be good to stay on top of this.

Last edited:
is there a tool/software recommended for this it would be good to stay on top of this.
I would not use any tool to do this. A quick browse of the MSI website should have everything you need, but don't download any motherboard software or utilities, just get the drivers.

In terms of this its all around the motherboard
You mean, you don't have any extra devices, like wifi dongles, a gaming mouse, ..?

I would not use any tool to do this. A quick browse of the MSI website should have everything you need, but don't download any motherboard software or utilities, just get the drivers.

You mean, you don't have any extra devices, like wifi dongles, a gaming mouse, ..?
Ah I get what you mean now.

Mouse, Keyboard and Microphone are steel series and updated via the GG software.

I have a streamdeck which is via elgato

Xbox controller

NZXT AIO which from memory connects via USB.

No plug in wifi dongles etc.

I will take the drivers/bios tomorrow as well and ill unplug everything but the mouse and keyboard to start.

Do you use cam, or whatever their software is called?

Sounds good!

It might be unrelated, but I think is a good place to start.

Yep CAM thats what its called. I do use that indeed otherwise the infographic doesnt display correctly.

I think given the googling I have done so far and advice from on here its worth being as basic as possible to solve the gremlin!

Back
Top Bottom