Suggest me a new laptop

Associate
My current laptop is over five years old and getting a bit creaky. Usage is mainly non-cutting-edge gaming, calc-heavy spreadsheet work (VBA numeric data manipulation - non-trivial, but for legacy reasons still done in Excel rather than a proper database) and general sodding around. So significantly better graphics would be great, as would general processing speed. I want to keep the 17.3 screen size, and I'd also like something that doesn't run as hot and fan-loud as the current one.

Current spec:
i7 8750H 2.2GHz
1920x1200 17.3
RTX 2060 6GB
16GB DDR4

With a hard budget of £2k, and the above requirements, what would you buy?

Last edited:
If you can hang on a little bit longer, you might be better waiting for the new generation. Though in saying that it could still be quite a long wait.

If you want a quieter more power efficient machine ideally pick AMD for the CPU. A 4080 should be a good choice for the GPU. Most large laptops are now 16" rather than 17.3"

Yeah, I was just going to say that 17" laptops are drying up! 16" is a good compromise and I always find the legions a good mix or price to performance and they have good bright screens

With nvidia 50xx on the horizon... there will be a LOT of folks looking to upgrade.

Expect to see quite a few more 4090 equipped laptops in the 2k region (usually with good screens and decent sized drives/etc. There's a Razor recently gone on the MM with i9 13 gen + 4090, I grabbed an XMG one a few months ago for ~2k).

Personally performance before everything else... 2nd hand for something that'll show a desktop 4070/4070ti a clean pair of heels is a no brainer. Took me about 2 weeks to track mine down. Patience and a bit of hunting...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom