Suggestions for a new gaming laptop

Associate
Hi all

So my current laptop is around 5 years old - pending the outcome of a repair, I may be looking at purchasing a new one.

My current spec is below and was a prebuilt purchase from an online retailer.

17.3 * LG Screen
8gb Ram 1600
1TB HDD
GTX 970M GPU
I5 (I think!) cpu.

I use the laptop for occasional gaming - I was enjoying playing AC: Odyssey before it was damaged. It really did struggle to play this game on low. I tried nudging a few settings up to medium as the game was an eyesore, but that really made the fps plunge to the point of unplayable.

I used to be really savvy with tech jargon / builds, but I'm really out of the loop now.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of the best deals from the OC site, it would be much appreciated.

Screen size isn't that important as I often connect it to a TV.

In terms of storage, I'm used to having a 1TB HDD but could probably get away with just a 512GB SSD as most of my documents are stored on the cloud - I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences with a 512 GB drive.

Future proofing to an extent would be preferred, but I'm not wanting to stretch my budget beyond £1,200.

Many thanks

Mac

Associate
Okay so that's a fairly decent budget and gaming laptops are considerably better performance to cost ratio than they used to be. In fact I recently purchased an Acer Predator Helios 300 (2018), which has (8th gen) i7-8750h cpu and GTX 1060, 16gb ram @2666mhz all for like £900.00. I got an exceptional deal as I bought it in Canada but they don't go for much more. I have had a few issues with heating but no blue screens or crashes and I'm honestly over the moon with it!

They have a new 2019 edition of the Helios 300 which I believe has a i7-9750h processor and a 1660ti? I believe they go for around £1200.00. I forgot to mention as well the screens are 144hz IPS panels, so another amazing feature of these laptops.
Worth looking into them for sure. I am so happy I can play Witcher 3 (all high settings with ultra textures) @ 60+fps sat on my bed, it's revolutionary haha

Associate
Okay so that's a fairly decent budget and gaming laptops are considerably better performance to cost ratio than they used to be. In fact I recently purchased an Acer Predator Helios 300 (2018), which has (8th gen) i7-8750h cpu and GTX 1060, 16gb ram @2666mhz all for like £900.00. I got an exceptional deal as I bought it in Canada but they don't go for much more. I have had a few issues with heating but no blue screens or crashes and I'm honestly over the moon with it!

They have a new 2019 edition of the Helios 300 which I believe has a i7-9750h processor and a 1660ti? I believe they go for around £1200.00. I forgot to mention as well the screens are 144hz IPS panels, so another amazing feature of these laptops.
Worth looking into them for sure. I am so happy I can play Witcher 3 (all high settings with ultra textures) @ 60+fps sat on my bed, it's revolutionary haha

I agree, gaming laptops seem to have come down in price now as before they would be double the price of the same spec desktop PC.

Back
Top Bottom