Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

He is also left footed.

He is 50 million player tops and hopefully with Everton's financial situation we can squeeze them at least a little.

On paper he seems great for what ETH needs. As much as I love Martinez he needs to stay fit and possibly Martinez can end up being played as CDM anyway.
Surely we need a right footed CB as a priority. Why would we take a lefty. He'd surely be understudy to Licha? Unless they think Kambwala is genuinely good enough to step up?
Anyway I'd only pay more than £50m for prime Cannavaro not a lad from Everton. Also, any notion of cheaping out on a proper CDM to play Martinez there will quickly tell you that Ineos are only there to fellate the Glazers and don't have any real ambition for the club.

Anyway I'd only pay more than £50m for prime Cannavaro not a lad from Everton.

Or you know develop your own talent good enough to play in the PL and save yourself all the millions you have spent since 1999. You paid 80m for Maguire, yet would only pay 50m for prime Cannavaro. They should put you in charge. Everton shouldn't accept less than 60m.

Or you know develop your own talent good enough to play in the PL and save yourself all the millions you have spent since 1999. You paid 80m for Maguire, yet would only pay 50m for prime Cannavaro. They should put you in charge. Everton shouldn't accept less than 60m.
How many of the EPL top six have homegrown centre backs?
Everton might not have a choice. I believe they need money rather urgently, before they end of the month maybe. Which other player will they get £45m for?

The amount was just an example. And they can't slap whatever valuation on him if Chelsea won't pay it and they have a couple of other clubs that will be able to pay £60m for him if no one else will pay more... They can tell Chelsea the price is £100m all they like but if they won't pay it then they could lose him for £60m so it makes zero sense to try that.

It is important to remember Palace would prefer to keep all of their in demand players this summer.

Nice to see that nothing looks to be changing at United.

Everton, he’s £80m we won’t accept any less.

Utd, erm give you £35m

The issue I see is this, historically the selling club was able to make ridiculous demands and the buying clubs could spend the money.

Now with PSR the buying clubs cant spend the crazy amounts of money the selling clubs are demanding.

Basically I foresee the effect of this will be prices for players will start to come down because clubs need to balance the books, so the sellers need to sell and the buyers have to spend within their limits.

The issue I see is this, historically the selling club was able to make ridiculous demands and the buying clubs could spend the money.

Now with PSR the buying clubs cant spend the crazy amounts of money the selling clubs are demanding.

Basically I foresee the effect of this will be prices for players will start to come down because clubs need to balance the books, so the sellers need to sell and the buyers have to spend within their limits.

I get that but United have been using the same tactic for a decade now. It normally continues like the following:

Utd ok, 40m
Everton, look we actually need 60m to keep the fans happy etc and we will need that much to replace him

Utd * let them wait, they’ll accept*
*Only a week left*

Ok, we are really breaking the bank here. 45!!

Everton - look, we have a week left now. We don’t have time to really get replacements in. Might be able to get one. It’s got to be 80m now, seriously we can’t accept any less.

*Jim White is in his ugly suit*

Right ok 80

**** off, the window is away to close we won’t have a full squad!!!!

Ok 100!!

Deal.

—-

That’s happen with almost every signing. The only time Utd didn’t end up panic buying and completely over paying was the Sancho one. They refused, waited another year until BvB where in a situation where they sell or risk letting him go for free in the next window or so. Turns out they over paid for him as well!

No its not. If a player has a release clause he has a release clause. Thats quite literally what this entire discussion has been about.

You are missing my point. Palace would prefer to keep every one of these players not get an extra £5m for them.

The release clauses are not straightforward. We had this last season with Olise and Chelsea. My understanding is the release clause for Olise only applies to a club playing in the Champions League. I am also of the understanding that the release clause only applies if the fee is paid upfront - not via staged payments. This is where Chelsea fell down last season. They thought they could offer £35m and pay it in instalments.

For Palace if someone offers the release clause under the specific terms stipulated then the player will be sold on those terms. In any other situation Palace would prefer to keep the likes of Olise rather than accept a small premium for deferred payments.

You are missing my point. Palace would prefer to keep every one of these players not get an extra £5m for them......
If you read back through the conversation, the hypothetical scenario had x CL club bidding £60m vs Chelsea negotiating a fee with Palace. While Palace might prefer to keep Olise, in this example their two options are being forced to take £60m from City (for example) or accepting a negotiated fee with Chelsea. The best case outcome for Palace in this scenario is negotiating a small premium on top of the £60m clause as there is no benefit to them either refusing to sell to Chelsea or pricing them out by demanding something silly.

Reactions: fez
Whatever happened to the arsenal fan who’s comments were always 3 page novel posts?

I can’t recall his username but he was at the time a regular around here

Surely we need a right footed CB as a priority. Why would we take a lefty. He'd surely be understudy to Licha? Unless they think Kambwala is genuinely good enough to step up?
Anyway I'd only pay more than £50m for prime Cannavaro not a lad from Everton. Also, any notion of cheaping out on a proper CDM to play Martinez there will quickly tell you that Ineos are only there to fellate the Glazers and don't have any real ambition for the club.

It gives flexibility. If Shaw is injured, Martinez could fill in LB

We need two CB's both left and right. That is priority imo.

It gives flexibility. If Shaw is injured, Martinez could fill in LB

We need two CB's both left and right. That is priority imo.
why would you have a player that's played a handful of games at lb 4 odd seasons ago 'fill in' when one of the most injury prone players in your squad is, shock horror, injured? Go and get a 1st choice starting lb.

arsenal could scupper braithwaite leaving because were interested in onana and apparently everton wouldnt need to sell anymore if they got what they wanted for him

arsenal could scupper braithwaite leaving because were interested in onana and apparently everton wouldnt need to sell anymore if they got what they wanted for him
Yes and no. As well as a sale before the end of the month to balance this seasons accounts, they'll very likely need another big sale between 1st July and 30th June 2025 to balance next seasons too. So although there won't be the immediate pressure to sell within a couple of weeks, realistically and so they're not in this situation again, they'll probably have to sell again this summer.

If you read back through the conversation, the hypothetical scenario had x CL club bidding £60m vs Chelsea negotiating a fee with Palace. While Palace might prefer to keep Olise, in this example their two options are being forced to take £60m from City (for example) or accepting a negotiated fee with Chelsea. The best case outcome for Palace in this scenario is negotiating a small premium on top of the £60m clause as there is no benefit to them either refusing to sell to Chelsea or pricing them out by demanding something silly.

No, I read that. It doesn’t change my point.

In this scenario, it requires the player to want to leave. If Olise doesn’t want to join Man City (unlikely I know) then Palace won’t sell to Chelsea, even for an increased fee.

My point is that in every scenario, unless a club offers something silly, Palace will do whatever they can to avoid selling. It doesn’t mean they will be able to avoid selling but they don’t want to. It is a different scenario to a club who wants or needs to sell and is trying to achieve the best price.

Back
Top Bottom