Summer Transfer Window 22/23

Soldato
With Botman now traveling for a medical and to go over final detail's and wonder will we see Newcastle move for Paqueta.

Milan have a sell on clause which might have funded their chase for Botman.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Jesus has to be the only striker that couldn't get into the first team at a club that literally had one striker.

Thats a little disingenuous. He was playing at a club that didn't use an out and out striker. The only reason they will do so with Haaland is because hes that good. Liverpool have just bought an out and out striker as well despite not really playing with one for years.

Will be interesting to see how Jesus does at Arsenal because on the one hand his record is pretty good but on the other hand I think any half decent striker would post good numbers in that City team.

Soldato
Thats a little disingenuous. He was playing at a club that didn't use an out and out striker. The only reason they will do so with Haaland is because hes that good. Liverpool have just bought an out and out striker as well despite not really playing with one for years.

Will be interesting to see how Jesus does at Arsenal because on the one hand his record is pretty good but on the other hand I think any half decent striker would post good numbers in that City team.
He also played 28 games in the PL for City last season.

Soldato
He also played 28 games in the PL for City last season.
And?? 8 of them were as a sub and 2 he was playing wide right not in the centre.

His stats show when he starts his goal return is pretty good

Half of the hate is because its arsenal buying him lets be real. At end of the day hes scored goals in the prem and has a good record in europe

At least its not a gamble unlike liverpool spending big on an unproven talent in the prem

Man of Honour
I think Jesus is a good player but I don't think he'll be that effective for Arsenal, he's been playing in a team that dominate almost every game and has never looked anything more than 'decent'.

Arsenal are going to spend another £100m+ just to find out Arteta isn't really a very good manager, it should be obvious already.

Soldato
And?? 8 of them were as a sub and 2 he was playing wide right not in the centre.

Since you've mentioned his 8 goals we should also mention 4 of those were against Watford in a single game. Jesus scored 6 of those 8 goals in the last 7 or so games 4 of which like I mentioned was in one game. He went months without scoring.

Caporegime
OP

Half of the hate is because its arsenal buying him lets be real. At end of the day hes scored goals in the prem and has a good record in europe

At least its not a gamble unlike liverpool spending big on an unproven talent in the prem
Anyone who signs for us is instantly dismissed as rubbish, it’s standard.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Anyone who signs for us is instantly dismissed as rubbish, it’s standard.

To be fair, theres a reason for that :p

Just kidding but in all honesty when was the last time Arsenal signed a top quality player that was in high demand. They keep buying decent players for decent money to go with your alright manager. Its not a recipe for excitement or a return to the top for Arsenal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
To be fair, theres a reason for that :p

Just kidding but in all honesty when was the last time Arsenal signed a top quality player that was in high demand. They keep buying decent players for decent money to go with your alright manager. Its not a recipe for excitement or a return to the top for Arsenal.
So how many of these are rubbish?

Partey
Martinelli
Gabriel
Ramsdale
Tomiyasu
Tierney
White (overpriced I know, but Utd fans can’t say **** about overpriced defenders)

Soldato

Partey
Martinelli
Gabriel
Ramsdale
Tomiyasu
Tierney
White (overpriced I know, but Utd fans can’t say **** about overpriced defenders)
He didn’t say they sign rubbish, just that they’re decent and nothing to really write home about.
Martinelli is the only one there that I’d say has the potential to be top drawer.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Partey
Martinelli
Gabriel
Ramsdale
Tomiyasu
Tierney

That was the part where I said I was joking. My point is that how many of those players would be wanted by any of the teams in the top 6. Martinelli and Tierney maybe?

Caporegime
He didn’t say they sign rubbish, just that they’re decent and nothing to really write home about.
Martinelli is the only one there that I’d say has the potential to be top drawer.
Klopp loves him so that tells you he’s a great player. Tierney is often underrated but he needs to stay fit for more than a month at a time.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah but Utd fans say it like they sign world beaters. Ronaldo came back for the money and nostalgia but it looks like he’s already had enough.

City and Liverpool, and maybe Chelsea, are the only sides who sign the worlds best these days. The rest of us have to do whatever we can.

Man of Honour
I think people are just passing comment, as they are entitled to do regardless of who they support.

It likely won't matter who Arsenal sign as they need a better manager IMO, Arteta is very average.

Arsenal traditionally lack some mettle - so you'd hope to see more experienced, combative players coming in.

Don
They keep buying decent players for decent money to go with your alright manager. Its not a recipe for excitement or a return to the top for Arsenal.
Unlike a lot of others, I didn't think Arsenal's signings last summer were that bad. They needed to put a foundation of decent, reliable players in place for them to build on. And I think last season showed that they done that well. Last season was the best Arsenal team for a number of years - they weren't the finished article but there was a foundation there that you could build on. Last season also showed that if Arsenal are going to progress from where they reached, they can't just continue to buy just decent players though. For 90% of last season Arsenal were a much better side than Spurs but Arsenal's problem was that when they didn't play well, they usually ended up dropping points. Arsenal didn't have the individual quality in key positions to win them games (enough times) when they weren't at their best and that's exactly what Spurs did have in Kane & Son.

Jesus is just another decent signing. He'll do ok for Arsenal, scoring 10-15 goals in the PL and will look good when Arsenal are playing well but he's not going to become Arsenal's Kane or Son that will win them the game when they're getting battered away at Villa.

The other issue with the Jesus signing is his reported reluctance to play as a centre forward. I was listening to Tim Vickery the other day and according to him, Jesus told the Brazil coach he wants to play out wide, not through the middle.

Soldato
If jesus wants to play out wide then id be happy to have martinelli in the middle as i wanted arteta to try him through the middle last season

Martinelli/saka/jesus/nketiah/raphinha theres stacks of options to mix and match any of those 3 from game to game

Back
Top Bottom