Summer Transfer Window 22/23

Don
I don't know how you can say in such a short term whether we do or don't have that in place yet. This is something that is evident over years, not months. How do you know exactly that nobody else has an input into transfers? Indeed as a club we've been interested in Eriksen before so it's not like that one is coming from ETH, he wasn't even at the club when Eriksen was there.
I can say because this is Utd and it's what they've done for the past 10 years and it's been reinforced by the fact that the man you appointed to play a big part in shaping this overall structure left the club a few weeks ago and because almost all of your transfer targets are either ex ETH players or players he knows from Holland.

Caporegime
I can say because this is Utd and it's what they've done for the past 10 years and it's been reinforced by the fact that the man you appointed to play a big part in shaping this overall structure left the club a few weeks ago and because almost all of your transfer targets are either ex ETH players or players he knows from Holland.
So things can never change and what has happened will always happen? I get why you're being so defensive being a rival and all, but it's ridiculous to pass judgement yet. Eriksen has no connection to ETH at all, suggesting we're signing him just because he played in Holland a decade ago is pretty silly.

Don
So things can never change and what has happened will always happen? I get why you're being so defensive being a rival and all, but it's ridiculous to pass judgement yet. Eriksen has no connection to ETH at all, suggesting we're signing him just because he played in Holland a decade ago is pretty silly.
Of course things can change but when Rangnick leaves the club after his caretaker role and all your targets are players ETH knows from Ajax, all the evidence suggests nothing has changed.

Man of Honour
Ultimately the proof is on the pitch, Liverpool's recent success is almost entirely down to Klopp being brilliant and I'm sure he OK'd most signings.

Don
Ultimately the proof is on the pitch, Liverpool's recent success is almost entirely down to Klopp being brilliant and I'm sure he OK'd most signings.
Klopp is a genius and without him we wouldn't be where we are but our success is absolutely not entirely down to him. Klopp works within our structure, not the club working around him. And of course he would OK the signings we make but that's because Liverpool have everybody working collectively towards the same idea that is set from above.

Man of Honour
Klopp is a genius and without him we wouldn't be where we are but our success is absolutely not entirely down to him. Klopp works within our structure, not the club working around him. And of course he would OK the signings we make but that's because Liverpool have everybody working collectively towards the same idea that is set from above.

But that structure hasn't been put to the test yet as Klopp is still there. Of course it looks impressive on the face of things and I'm sure it is, but it can't be overstated just how critical having a top manager is.

I hope we are looking to put a similar sort of structure in place, I think far too much faith was put in Solskjaer, Rangnick was a mess, and it's put everyone on the back foot. Meaning shortcuts have to be taken, such as going for Ten Hag's personal targets. Hopefully that will gradually start to change.

Caporegime
Exactly, I'll believe in Liverpool's structure when Klopp leaves and the next man walks in and continues the same way. Until then it's just speculation.

What has changed is we seem to be buying exclusively players the manager wants, there are no dubious links this window like there have been under Woodward.

Don
But that structure hasn't been put to the test yet as Klopp is still there. Of course it looks impressive on the face of things and I'm sure it is, but it can't be overstated just how critical having a top manager is.

I hope we are looking to put a similar sort of structure in place, I think far too much faith was put in Solskjaer, Rangnick was a mess, and it's put everyone on the back foot. Meaning shortcuts have to be taken, such as going for Ten Hag's personal targets. Hopefully that will gradually start to change.
The structure was there before Klopp, likewise City had there's in place pre Pep. And before you say we weren't successful then, yes without Klopp we weren't and wouldn't be now but equally without that structure in place we wouldn't have the success we have now, even with Klopp.

But again, it's not about now, it's about having the continuity in place so that when Pep or Klopp leave, the whole club doesn't reset which is exactly what Utd have been doing since Taggart retired. When Klopp eventually leaves, we won't be appointing a coach that wants to play a completely different way and then having to completely rebuild our squad as Utd have and are doing.

Don
Pep has replaced pretty much the whole team since he took over though? Klopp has done the same
He's been at City 6 years now, of course there's been a turnover of players - players get old unfortunately. Pep took over and won with a squad that for the most part was there when he arrived.

Caporegime
Pep has replaced pretty much the whole team since he took over though? Klopp has done the same
True, but he's brought in players that will play the Klopp way, no Primadonnas out for a paycheck and they've always been happy to wait to get the player they want. United approach seems to be 'who's available so we can buy them regardless if they fit or what we actually need.' It's almost a scattergun approach, there seems to be no plan or any idea what they actually need.

Soldato
I don't know how you can say in such a short term whether we do or don't have that in place yet. This is something that is evident over years, not months. How do you know exactly that nobody else has an input into transfers? Indeed as a club we've been interested in Eriksen before so it's not like that one is coming from ETH, he wasn't even at the club when Eriksen was there.

But you have completely changed in terms of the type of football the club was going to be play. You brought Rangnick in to play quick, direct and aggressive football, which i thought was the right move. The UK fanbase love this type of football, and you see that with Pep and the evolution of his sides, he's far more willing to go long or down the lines. ETH from the games i've seen, he's not even a total football guy, which is far more opportunistic with crosses and direct balls upfield. He seems closer to tika-taka, which is far more militant with it's build up play, obvs injecting some pace in the offensive third. Nothing wrong with this, i'm not criticising, i do wonder whether the fans will like it though. If the fans are happy with that type of football and ETH isn't successful, the point about philosophical structure is correct, you'll need someone similar to ETH to come in after. Not go for a Klopp type manager.

Caporegime
But you have completely changed in terms of the type of football the club was going to be play. You brought Rangnick in to play quick, direct and aggressive football, which i thought was the right move. The UK fanbase love this type of football, and you see that with Pep and the evolution of his sides, he's far more willing to go long or down the lines. ETH from the games i've seen, he's not even a total football guy, which is far more opportunistic with crosses and direct balls upfield. He seems closer to tika-taka, which is far more militant with it's build up play, obvs injecting some pace in the offensive third. Nothing wrong with this, i'm not criticising, i do wonder whether the fans will like it though. If the fans are happy with that type of football and ETH isn't successful, the point about philosophical structure is correct, you'll need someone similar to ETH to come in after. Not go for a Klopp type manager.
Rangnick was a temporary manager, there is no suggestion that we hired him to prepare the club to play exactly the style of football he prefers. Not sure where you got this 'type of football we were going to play' stuff from. There is some overlap between ETH and Rangnick, they both play high pressing styles but ETH seems to lean more towards possession heavy styles where Rangnick has often focussed on more direct play.

Caporegime
He's been at City 6 years now, of course there's been a turnover of players - players get old unfortunately. Pep took over and won with a squad that for the most part was there when he arrived.

He brought in eleven first team players in his first 2 seasons before winning the league. You just said this structure would mean the manager doesn't need to change half the team?

Soldato
Rangnick was a temporary manager, there is no suggestion that we hired him to prepare the club to play exactly the style of football he prefers. Not sure where you got this 'type of football we were going to play' stuff from. There is some overlap between ETH and Rangnick, they both play high pressing styles but ETH seems to lean more towards possession heavy styles where Rangnick has often focussed on more direct play.

You absolutely did hire him for that, why do you think he was going to be director after? and now he's not? Because ETH and Rangnick aren't similar.

Don
He brought in eleven first team players in his first 2 seasons before winning the league. You just said this structure would mean the manager doesn't need to change half the team?
He didn't change half the side. City and all sides, turn over a few players each season however he fundamentals and spine of the City side that won under Pep was there pre Pep. Otamendi, Kompany, Fernandinho, KDB, Silva, Sterling, Aguero etc. Pep improved on a few positions but there was not a 180 change in style of play when Pep arrived and won't be when he leaves.

Utd have gone from a manager that signed players like Maguire and AWB to now signing a 4 foot football playing CB. Utd are making another 180 change in how they play.

Caporegime
He didn't change half the side. City and all sides, turn over a few players each season however he fundamentals and spine of the City side that won under Pep was there pre Pep. Otamendi, Kompany, Fernandinho, KDB, Silva, Sterling, Aguero etc. Pep improved on a few positions but there was not a 180 change in style of play when Pep arrived and won't be when he leaves.

Utd have gone from a manager that signed players like Maguire and AWB to now signing a 4 foot football playing CB. Utd are making another 180 change in how they play.
11 players is a few players now?

I'm confused how ETH signing 2-4 players is changing half the team but 11 players is a few players.

Soldato

I'm confused how ETH signing 2-4 players is changing half the team but 11 players is a few players.
It's more to do with buying players that fit a template, eth differs from ole, who differed from Maureen, who differed from lvg etc etc. When your latest manager invariably fails the next guy you bring in will change the direction of the club and players to suit his need. Rinse and repeat, personally I've no issue with it :D

Don

If you think Utd will be in a position to challenge at the top of the table by making 2-4 signings then you need a lie down Shami. The spine of this Utd side/squad will not be the spine of the next Utd squad/side that wins a major trophy. Before Utd are in a position to challenge for major honours you will have changed most of the squad. Not only are most of your squad not good enough, they're completely unsuited to playing under this manager.

The above was not the case at City. The spine of the City side that won the first title under Pep was there before him. They made a number of incremental improvements in a few positions around that spine but other than the keeper, there wasn't a fundamental change at City.

Back
Top Bottom