Sunday Trading Laws

Soldato
Why? It's not particularly convenient. I'd rather they shut some random midweek day than one of the two days off most people have.

But that's the point, it's to give retail staff some kind of normal social life that most other people who work Monday to Friday get.

Soldato
I think everything should be shut on Sunday's, gives people time to see family and friends as a unit.

Do we really want a society where you never see your mum or dad at the same time?

This of course assumes you are not from a broken home.

Permabanned
I don't agree. I used to work in retail. Shop staff deserve to work reasonable hours and get some family time at least one day a week.

Stop being so selfish and entitled about the right to shop. If you need to shop, find time in the other six days in the week.

oh no poor shop staff, what about all the other workers that work in 24/7 environments like hospitals, police, etc. everyone gets at least 1-2 days off a week including shop staff, if shops opened longer all that would happen is shops would need more staff.

Sunday trading laws come down to some religious BS, end it NOW!

Soldato
oh no poor shop staff, what about all the other workers that work in 24/7 environments like hospitals, police, etc. everyone gets at least 1-2 days off a week including shop staff, if shops opened longer all that would happen is shops would need more staff.

Sunday trading laws come down to some religious BS, end it NOW!

*Facepalm*

Man of Honour
It absolutely needs to be abolished,

As for the small shop arguments, small shop owners are their own worst enemies in most cases. It's no surprise many struggle. Then other small business thrive. When they actually offer what the public want, sometimes this is price. But most of time this is things like opening hours, Internet ordering etc.

Small corner shops can no longer charge double the price for a two litre bottle of coke, but they still try. So they get a few extra sales when tesco is shut, but then for 90% of their opening hours they must have almost zero sales. They need to look at the big picture.

Soldato
Ha ha lol.
You think the only people who work on Sunday are absolutely vital.

When did I think that, or write that?

I'm merely saying you don't need a shop to be open longer than 6 hours on a Sunday, but you do need a hospital to be open 24 hours.

Don't want to work Sundays don't.

I wasn't given the choice when I worked in retail, it was either work Sunday or quit.

Soldato
But that's the point, it's to give retail staff some kind of normal social life that most other people who work Monday to Friday get.
Why should they be forced by law to not be able to work? It would be cheaper for the shops to not open on all days, but unsurprisingly they do because people want them to. It also gives people the chance to work 7 days a week if they choose/need to. It's not as if wages are going to go up to compensate for lost hours, is it?

Soldato
I really don't buy the argument from people who work in retail or are against abolishing the Sunday Trading Laws that people who wish to do so are selfish or should find another time to shop.

We live in a world now that is very different to that of the past where the majority worked 9-5 weekdays, went to Church on Sunday and there were no supermarkets.

These days, people works shifts, long hours and many even working full nightshifts. Its not simply a case of everyone being selfish, some people just have little choice about when they can shop.

Relaxing the Sunday Trading Laws should help our economy, create more jobs and get people spending more on the high-street again.

Most shops are open on Sunday these days, with the reduced hours in effect, so I simply don't buy that retail workers will have to do more shifts, because they either already are, or they have the necessary staff to allow workers adequate days off during the week. Let's not forget that Retailers rely on customers to buy their products, thats how the business works, the weekend is when most people have time to shop, so they should be encouraging people to be able to spend, rather than moaning about it. Though I'm sure the management want it, where as this is likely cries from shop floor workers.

Soldato
We don't have this rule in Scotland, and I think it's good that we don't. It just doesn't make sense to have limited opening hours on a Sunday, a day which most people have off so can therefore do their shopping.
Outdated and not needed nowadays. That being said, I've worked every Sunday morning & afternoon for the last 14 months and it is horrible. Need to get better Sunday public transport!

Soldato
It was well known in London. It was on the tv a lot.

I was too busy watching the Olympics or going to the events than to go shopping.

I live in London and it was only really if you follow the news that you might have noticed it... it wasn't that well publicised.

Soldato
Ditch the silly sunday trading laws.

More hours to be worked will mean either more wages for the existing staff who have to work extra shifts or new jobs for new staff.

Not seeing a downside here.

Back
Top Bottom