Суп ХАРЧО / Kharcho Soup

Associate
Do we have any Georgian / Russian members, or anybody who has made Beef Kharcho soup before?

I'm wondering how good the pre-made Khmeli-Suneli mix is you can buy, or should I make one myself? Would you use marigold flowers and would you sub out tamarind for lemon juice?

Spasiba / Спасибо :)

Caporegime
Sort of unrelated sorry OP, but have you seen the 'Bald and Bankrupt' channel on YouTube?

He's a budget traveller (English but seems to speak good Russian) with a very relaxed and entertaining style, and much of his travelling is around the former-Soviet states, including recently Georgia. He comments on / reviews cheap local food a lot too, so might be of incidental interest!

E.g.

Associate
OP
Sort of unrelated sorry OP, but have you seen the 'Bald and Bankrupt' channel on YouTube?

He's a budget traveller (English but seems to speak good Russian) with a very relaxed and entertaining style, and much of his travelling is around the former-Soviet states, including recently Georgia. He comments on / reviews cheap local food a lot too, so might be of incidental interest!

E.g.

Yes mate followed Bald and Harald for quite some time, that's where I got the Kharcho idea from as they were served it in the bus station :D

Soldato
"Hack" version with your ingredients from a regular supermarket works well enough, most versions in Russian speaking nations would be like that without the exotic stuff.

Watch his channel too once in a while, something like this is probably closer to what he would have had of he was in Belarus/Ukraine/Russia.

Don't make it often but when I do I sometimes like to substitute the rice for barley.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips Neoboy.

I did think about using pearl barley rather than rice, and have nearly all of the ingredients to make the spice rub from scratch its just the quantities.

Soldato

E.g.

seems sketchy according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldAndBaldrDossier/

Back
Top Bottom