Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Soldato
Easy guys. I'll bring the lube next time ;)

If he wants to try it out...why not let him?

Isn't that half the fun of supplements?
If you want a 100% guarantee PED, take the steroid. Failing that get a creatine product and a whey protein product for muscle building; and caffeine as a stimulant.

Anything else, is fun and games :p

PS. I tried Grenade about 5 years ago. This was an ECA stack. I think its called Thermo Detonator now. Absolutely useless. ProPlus from a supermarket is more powerful.

Man of Honour
D Aspartic acid, being an ingredient of that product, is a fantastic ingredient to supplement with.

Unfortunately, at 200mg, you're not going to notice anything from it, you need to be taking 3-5g a day for a noticeable effect.

Test boosters are a pile of wee wee for the majority. Taking them in your late 40's-50's and you'll no doubt get some benefit from them when your test is so low anyway. However as a young or youngish guy, it's a waste of cash

Next time, buy D Aspartic acid on its own, it's expensive, but it's very very good

Soldato
D Aspartic acid, being an ingredient of that product, is a fantastic ingredient to supplement with.

Unfortunately, at 200mg, you're not going to notice anything from it, you need to be taking 3-5g a day for a noticeable effect.

Test boosters are a pile of wee wee for the majority. Taking them in your late 40's-50's and you'll no doubt get some benefit from them when your test is so low anyway. However as a young or youngish guy, it's a waste of cash

Next time, buy D Aspartic acid on its own, it's expensive, but it's very very good

A lot of rave about that AEN APE, and it's as close as you'll get to gaining some free test without going the pro hormone or roids route.

Man of Honour
Taking them with a workout? Or taking them in front of the TV?

...So next time, I wouldn't bother. Just work hard. :)

I've been training regulary since 21 but i have found recently now that i'm in my mid 40's that although I can still do my workouts, I tend to struggle at times. I always work hard :)

The supplement was recomended by a few PTs i know. Breaking the components down, they seems harmless:

Fenugreek
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek
get that from Holland and Barrat cheap as chips

Mucuna pruriens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucuna_pruriens
again from Holland and barrat or amazon £9.99 for 200 tablets

Beta Ecdysterone
Root product – not proven for performance – needs high volume of protein intake. Does have slight side effects.
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/beta-ecdysterone/10529949.html
£15 for a pack of 60

Methoxy Isoflavone
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/methoxy-isoflavone/10530415.html again my protein for £8 for pack of 90

Diindolylmethane
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...Id=1049&activeIngredientName=DIINDOLYLMETHANE

They bent you over, without even doing you the courtesy of lube

Should have seen this coming.

Huddy is in his 40s

Though I'd have gone for Bulbine Natalensis instead.

Never heard of them tbh.

Man of Honour
My point, Admiral, was that the ingredients have been proven to work above specific thresholds, but at the doses in those tablets you won't be getting anywhere near the specific doses required.

For instance, that mucuna pruriens requires a big dose of the refined 'fruit' to impact upon the dopamine receptors, yet the tablets have a tiny fraction of "mucuna pruriens..." I and nobody buying that stuff will have no idea if it's refined or what so - as it's pimped by a supplement company - I would be inclined to guess not.

So I'm not knocking the principle behind the ingredients, but the way it's marketed and how that raises expectations.

TL;DR

You are better off spending your money on caffeine, pr0n and creatine if you want more of a 'boost' in the gym. But that's only my opinion.

Soldato
Got my ZMA and Super Omega 3 from BSD (cheers for the code FF), got a bit more liquid omega 3 to get through first and then we'll start on them. Nice and simple packaging, resealable bags, good stuff.

Man of Honour
My point, Admiral, was that the ingredients have been proven to work above specific thresholds, but at the doses in those tablets you won't be getting anywhere near the specific doses required.

For instance, that mucuna pruriens requires a big dose of the refined 'fruit' to impact upon the dopamine receptors, yet the tablets have a tiny fraction of "mucuna pruriens..." I and nobody buying that stuff will have no idea if it's refined or what so - as it's pimped by a supplement company - I would be inclined to guess not.

So I'm not knocking the principle behind the ingredients, but the way it's marketed and how that raises expectations.

TL;DR

You are better off spending your money on caffeine, pr0n and creatine if you want more of a 'boost' in the gym. But that's only my opinion.

You maybe right. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

On the subject of creatine, I took this stuff many moons ago and made some good gains during my early day of training. I recall it the time you had to lay off the caffeine. Is that still the case as I tend to enjoy my morning coffee?

Man of Honour
You maybe right. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

On the subject of creatine, I took this stuff many moons ago and made some good gains during my early day of training. I recall it the time you had to lay off the caffeine. Is that still the case as I tend to enjoy my morning coffee?

No worries at all. Do bear in mind that I'm a brutal cynic when it comes to these things. :D

No - keep the caffeine. I wouldn't take that away from you. It has no interaction with creatine, so go nuts. :D

Soldato
I had no side effects from creatine with anything so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have just started a 8 week cycle of AEN APE test booster which has a lot of reviews and blood works saying its pretty effective, I will report back if it's any good.

Soldato
Huddy I have between 5-10g of creatine per day and smash back the coffee as well, no negative side effects except for an addiction to coffee haha.

Soldato
After a little bit of advice on my shakes. Any room for improvements or suggestions?

Pre Workout Shake - 20g Whey Protein, 6g EAA's, 3g Creatine and 1 x 200mg Caffeine pill

Post Workout Shake - 20g Whey Protein, 3g Creatine, 1g Glucosamine Sulphate, 40g Oats and 1 x Banana. Plus some Cinnamon and Nutmeg for spices.

Would I see any benefit from taking Beta Alanine or D Aspartic acid? The only thing I am thinking of upping dosage on at the moment is the caffeine to say 300/400mg but I read that Beta Alanine also carries those effects.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
No need to take whey pre-workout, take 40g post. Dextrose would be better in your post shake. Beta alanine is fine, I take 2.5g pre and post. 300/400mg is a pretty heavy dose, I wouldn't want to take that often. I'm fine on 120-180mg (will depend on how much caffeine you have during the day). Beta alanine goes well with creatine.

Soldato
No need to take whey pre-workout, take 40g post. Dextrose would be better in your post shake. Beta alanine is fine, I take 2.5g pre and post. 300/400mg is a pretty heavy dose, I wouldn't want to take that often. I'm fine on 120-180mg (will depend on how much caffeine you have during the day). Beta alanine goes well with creatine.

I've been the following Muscle and Fitness HIIT book to a T for the beginner level and in their book it leans towards working with whey in your pre workout shake hence its addition. Point taken on the caffeine. Would I better off adding in Beta Alanine in to my pre and post and keeping the caffeine levels at 200mg?

Glucosamine sulphate is pointless.

Save money and ditch it.

I've been taking it for about 3 months now and I do feel a little improvement in my joints. However i'm not sure if thats just a placebo effect?

Other supplements i'm taking are the bog standard Multi-Vit, 2 x Cod Liver oil and 2 x Omega 3 pills (roughly 1000mg) Mainly because I can get them cheap enough.

Back
Top Bottom