Surround Sound hiss.

Soldato
Hey there yet another what to do thread from me :D.

Basically my dad got a dvd/hdd recorder at the weekend and said he didnt need his sony dav s500 5.1 dvd/tuner/amp, so i gladly took it off his hands for now.

Now i set it all up and everything works, getting some nice surround, but i have the problem that my rear speakers always hiss whenever the system is turned on.

Is this because of the cheapo speaker cable that came supplied? or could it stem from something else?

If it is down to the cable would it be ok to replace with cat5? i hear people talking about it every now and then, and if so how do i go about it? as i have these funny colour coded plugs at the back of the stereo, so can i buy some more and use the cat5 with these?

Thanks

SoliD

Soldato
OP
NeilFawcett said:
Try swappnig the wiring around for one of the front and rears (just at the back of the machine)... If the hiss moves to the front then you know its the unit and not the wiring...

I suspect it is the unit...

nope just listened closely to it and fronts do hissing too. :(

Soldato
OP
NeilFawcett said:
When you swapped the wiring around? Or as it was?

as it was

squiffy said:
All amplifiers hiss. It just depends if the speakers are sensitive enough to show it up. But if it's noisier in the different house probably just the wiring or inteference. Can be tricky.

Not dif house but they did hiss a bit before hand, just seems worse now. surprised that the speakers pick it up not exactly mega expensive surround, any chance changing wires could help it?

Soldato
OP
DRZ said:
Does it do it on every input? Say you have it on the DVD channel, if you switch it from a digital input to the analogue input for the same channel, does the hissing change?

Nope only on video1/2 on dvd it doesnt do the hissing. but when its off min volume on vid 1/2 it starts to hiss.

ill try move the wires around at some point see if that helps and only use short wires to see if that fixes the problem, i wouldnt say its mega cheap, ie alba cheap, so i dont really expect it. i mean its not so loud you can hear it over other sounds but when you're up close its definitely audible.

Soldato
OP
NeilFawcett said:
Ahhh! What's plugged into video 1 & 2, that's different to the DVD?

The fact you don't get hiss on "DVD" surely proves it's not the speakers/wiring?

dunno got pc plugged into vid 1 with el cheapo cable and have optical cable coming from my tv into vid2.

Soldato
OP
NeilFawcett said:
Well, if you unplug the inputs and the hiss remains unchanged, you know there's nothing you can do about it.

thought just as much, ohwell will have to put up with it, does me for now. might buy a new amp in the future when i got a bit more cash to splash.

Back
Top Bottom