Surround sound kit advice

Associate
I have a decent soundbar at the moment but would like to try a full system to see the difference.

I have bought a second hand Denon 1800h.

I need a sub, and at least 5 speakers. Ideally wanting to go second hand.

What are generally the best bang for buck seconds hand subs and speakers?

I do have a set of acoustic solutions 7000 but I am not sure if it's any good as it's fairly small and is not much better than the soundbar and surrounds.

Someone is selling a BK XXLS400 locally for £200. Then someone else is selling the Tannoy precision 6 centre speaker and Tannoy precision 6.2 floorstanders for £750. That does mean I would have to try and find matching rears. It does seem like this would be quite good kit that would hold it's value?

Brand new 5.1 is something like this under £600

tbh I woudn't buy a second hand sub, if the plate amp blows you're looking at costly repair. BK repair isn't too bad generally £75-£100 postage all in. Those BK subs can suffer from buzzing/humming and can be worse or better depending on crossover dial.
Those tannoy seem expensive, a quick search shows they were available for that price about 10 years ago. The precisions new were £1700. I'd try and knock that price down a bit more.

For movies you'll want a sub, you can get away with music but sub for movie soundtracks protects damage to your speakers.

Another range could be wharfedale evo, I've seen several second hand models and they go for decent price, dropping in half price (and they're still a relatively new model)

Also if you are considering floorstanders what if the room size, you don't want to cram massive speakers in a small room.

That amp is a budget AVR, so you want relatively easy to drive, efficient speakers. Avoid 4 ohm, <86db speakers.

Last edited:
No. I've got a 9.4.4 av pre power system.

Just one I google search for those evos. Dominic here just got a complete evo system, with floorstanders, and the three way standmount sides.

How about this sub?

also this one but not available in the UK yet

Or if you prefer sealed box (and small enough to have two)

Last edited:
Also other things I would recommend

1) A good programmable universal remote- control multiple devices from one single remote, able to send macros, create own acitivites, specific button commands where you like, link to other devices etc
2) A dedicated audio streamer, rather than using the one in your AVR. Allows custom menus, database display options, just better UI etc
3) A dedicated video streamer. TV's aren't bad but I found some codecs not to play fully.

Don't need to spend a lot, all above three combined (from what I would buy if I needed them) would be less than £300.

Back
Top Bottom