Survey: what hardware are you using to produce music?

Associate
I'm just putting together a system to allow me to create some "choons," and I was wondering what sort of gear the aspiring muso's among us are using.

Specifically I'd like to know what people are using for:

• Soundcard & Audio Interface
  • Monitors (speaker variety, not display ;) )
  • Control Surfaces
  • Software (Reason, FLStudio, Cakewalk, Pro Tools, Guitar Rig, etc).
Anyone out there using X-Fi in this context at all?

cheers
v.f.

Caporegime
I'm cheaping out being a student and all, using Reason and an Evolution USB MIDI controller. Next on the list is probably a PreSonus Firebox.

Edit: But I have free access to a studio with a dual PowerMac G5, Pro Tools, a digital mixing desk etc, so that's why I haven't been super eager to buy my own kit.

If you know what music you want to make, it's worth a look to see if the artists have any studio videos / articles kicking around, to see how they do their thing. I know there's stuff about for Pendulum, The Crystal Method, Exile etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using:
  • M-Audio Delta66 soundcard
  • M-Audio Omni I/O (4 pre's, 2 of which can be used as mic pre's, 2x headphone amp, various mixing and output options, plus all sorts of other useful gubbins)
  • M-Audio USB MidiSport 2x4 midi interface
  • NAD 3020i amplifier (going directly from the Omni to the power amp stage of the 3020i)
  • Pair of Wharfdale Diamond pro speakers
  • Cubase SL

It seems very tricky to get hold of the Omni I/O these days - which is a shame as it's really useful!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
glitch said:
Not if you know what you're doing!
Yeah, I've found that to be a sentiment echoed across many of the forums out there.

However, I've also seen posts from people brave enough to admit having the card for such a purpose, and they appear to rate it highly. So highly, I've taken the plunge and ordered one ;)

cheers
v.f.

Back
Top Bottom