Suspended floor with wet underfloor heating?

Soldato
Has anybody had this done? Was it effective?
I've checked under my floor boards and I have no insulation there so will need to fill that and then put the underfloor heating on top.

Would it be better to put the underfloor heating on top of the floorboards and then the actual flooring above that? That'd raise the floor height by a 4cm maybe but it seems like a better method than in between joists heating.

Soldato
Wet underfloor heating is usually embedded into the concrete so that the entire floor works as a radiator. If your suspending the pipes in the air, it will not put out anywhere enough heat as they are also designed to work at lower temperatures than standard central heating.

Soldato
I’ve looked into it before and although It’s possible but not worth the effort

how much space is under the floor ?

a friend of mine concreted under his to create solid floors but involved a fair bit of work to ensure he didn’t cause any damp issues etc

Associate
I've got underfloor heating between my suspended floor joists. Battons are run along the bottom edge of each joist, to then put horizontal planks across which supports kingspan. The water pipes are run on this which then has riversand placed on top.

In terms of how effective it is... We have a wooden floor on top. It certainly can heat the room well but you need to be thinking a day ahead. I'm not sure if this is usual for underfloor heating of a large space.

Associate
It certainly can heat the room well but you need to be thinking a day ahead

UFH in a solid floor you need to think even further ahead, in reallity you just don't turn it off.

i'm fitting it between the joists in my lounge at the moment, can get 90mm kingspan in then the pipes with 25/30 mm of screed over them. going to then put a 20mm engineered oak floor down.
a plumber mate did his whole bungalow like that but with chipboard flooring and carpet(had to be carefull what underlay he used so as not to insulate it to much) and it works well.

Back
Top Bottom