Switch? (Mac related)

Soldato
Does anyone know if theres any way you can try a Mac before you buy? I am interested in getting hold of one to replace my PC (which is basically an overspec'd CD burner/email grabber/downloader/webbrowser as I have all but given up on mainstream PC gaming) which I will sell in order to finance the purchase of either a mini or an imac with the possibility of a G4 cube if it will do the jobs. Basically I am settling into the computer should do what you need it to do without the fuss mentality, after years of updating/fixing/patching I am finding the whole process a little tiresome as well as expensive (or you can call it the Ipod Halo Effect if you prefer ;) )
However I am a little concerned if I can find apps on the Mac to do everything I want/need to do.

Some examples:
Office stuff (Word/Excel compatible as the missus needs them for work docs)
Newsgroup software
DVD/Xvid etc conversion
Sony Ericsson phone syncing (W550i if important)
VNC or equivalent
Decent MP3 tagging (not really a big fan of Itunes tag management - I use Tag and Rename on PC)
SMB Network access (all our backup and media is stored on an NSLU2)

Also from a hardware standpoint do the Macs:
Support Dolby 5.1 via co-ax/optical?
Dual monitors? (I have 1x DVI/VGA and 1x VGA LCD)

I will still have a PC at home in the shape of my Mame cabinet I am building so it doesnt have to do all the above really, just like a close match if poss as that machine is going to be pretty much dedicated to the task in hand.

Final question (honestly :p ) what sort of CPU/RAM would I be looking at to give smooth performance across the board in Mac terms? My current PC is a 146 Opteron with 2GB RAM and a 6800 Ultra which is well over the top for its current tasks.

A big thanks in advance to any answers.

EDIT:
Should point out to the dons that this kinda crosses both Hardware and Software so would it be possible to keep it here?

Soldato
OP
leezer3 said:
The only one you may have trouble with is the phone- AFAIK, the USB cable isn't supported but bluetooth is (Get a dongle)

-Leezer-

Already got a BT dongle sat here unused...never even thought of using it to sync D'oh!

Back
Top Bottom