Switching from IPS to VA?

Associate
So I've had the Asus Vx24ah for the last year, developed a fault so was offered a replacement or refund, chose a refund.

I bought the LG27UL650 to replace it as I was after 4k and thought 27 would be a good size however once it was setup I noticed terrible backlight bleed and IPS glow. I'm now returning that one aswell so wondered if anyone can recommend something with good black levels and minimal bleed?

I'm leaning towards VA now, looks like I'll have to go for 1080p 24 inch of 27inch to fit below £300. Blue light and eye care is also important to me so I'm looking at the BenQ's.

Will I notice a big improvement with VA or is it not worth the switch?

Edit: worth mentioning I use mainly for PS4 but also desktop work use and occasional pc games such as planet coaster.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all replies everyone! I'm definitely leaning towards VA now as I really don't think I'll mind colour shift, or atleast would take that over bleed/glow if I had to pick one.

Does seem to be significantly less VA available on the market, most geared towards high refresh not Res :(

May just settle for a cheaper one for now with the look to upgrade in a couple years once there is hopefully a good amount of OLED monitors on the market!

Associate
OP
I like VA a lot. I have BenQ EW3270U, 4k VA panel and love it. You can find that for £300 if you shop around. It's only 60Hz and not everyone wants a screen that big though.

What we're currently waiting on for my partner is an MSI monitor, a MAG272QR, 1440p, 144Hz, flat, VA, looks to be priced £280 ish, hopefully available late Jan/Early Feb. The MSI is allegedly a 1ms gaming monitor, so you would hope that any/all ghosting has been sorted out.

That BenQ looks great, just wish they did it in a 24-27 as I think 32 would be too big considering how far away I sit (desk it quite shallow)

Could wait for that MSI but then I'll be using the monitor for the PS5 once that's released and I bet it won't support 1440p unfortunately hence why I was looking to 4k

Associate
OP
This is my experience as well, even on the premium VA's ive owned. However movie watching on them was pretty darn good. Until they sort out the dark smearing of VA's completely i personally wouldn't want one for gaming. If one doesn't game i see no major issues as long as it is still one of the faster VA panels on the market.

Was going to say, surely the gaming focused high refresh VA's suffer minimal ghosting? So hard to make a decision as I don't want to be faffing around returning monitors! Already returned two :(

Back
Top Bottom