Switching from IPS to VA?

Soldato
just depends on what your compromises are
Yeah, all LCDs suck in one or more ways and for all the marketing hype flat displays can be considered to be in state of misery.

VAs have the best contrast and hence black...
But at the price of horizontal gamma shift of dark shades causing black crush and response times have either some really sluggish transitions or huge overdrive overshoot causing inverse ghosting.

IPS is capable to consistent response times and best viewing angles/colour stability...
But contrast is at average LCD level (where are those local dimming backlights?) and A-TW filter should be brought back.

And TNs are: What viewing angles? Didn't people ever see good CRTs?

Associate
Eh, both the new flat, 1440p VA panels (AOC and MSI) seem to have pretty good reviews so far, particularly the AOC AGON AG273QX. Will let you know if the MSI suffers black crush when I see it, but they're touting it as a 1ms GtG monitor...

Associate
I've been drawn in several times to switch to VA displays. In the end, I always go back to IPS. No matter how good the specs are for a VA panel, there's ghosting, and the colours just look "unnatural" and somehown more digital than IPS. I can deal with some IPS glow, but ghosting annoys the heck out of me.

Caporegime
In trying to pick a monitor this weekend.

Ive never seen a va panel. So finding it really hard to decide.

Monitors are the hardest and biggest investment in pc kit

Associate
If you're a gamer then steer clear of VA as it just has to much ghosting and blur. The predator Z35 I tried was abysmal. Anything else then I think VA will be fine. Just changed to an IPS ultrawide and I'm pretty impressed with it coming from a 1ms TN screen. No bleed whatsoever and the response time and blur is pretty low to be honest.

Permabanned
I game in a dark room so no thanks to poor black and contrast on an IPS added to IPS glow.

The Z35 and most recent monitors of all panel types (ROGS etc) were poor as they were mostly made by AU Optronics who seem to have no QA department.

I say it again, if you ever seen a Eizo Foris FG2421 (Sharp VA Panel) you would know what a good "LCD" can be like (again its not going to be CRT/Plasma quality)

Associate
I have a BenQ VA panel, never noticed any ghosting. The new high refresh rate flat VA panels have reviewed bery well so far (particularly the AG273QX), I wonder if the ghosting info is a little out of date now, personally, or just not something my 41yr old eyes can pick up on anyway...

Soldato
I have a BenQ VA panel, never noticed any ghosting. The new high refresh rate flat VA panels have reviewed bery well so far (particularly the AG273QX), I wonder if the ghosting info is a little out of date now, personally, or just not something my 41yr old eyes can pick up on anyway...
TFT Central measures response times and VAs have consistently response time "challenges" compared to IPS.
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nixeus_nx-edg34s.htm#gaming_comparisons

Associate
Its on all VA panels that i've seen, just some people dont notice it and some are sensitive to it. My brother just picked up one of those new expensive MSI 4k VA panels and it has the same ghosting/smearing i've saw on last years VA panels when I was shopping for a monitor, he doesn't notice it but I can see it straight away.

Best thing to do I think is order from a place with a good returns policy and try a VA panel in a variety of games (especially dark ones) to see if the smearing is too bad for you to bear. Worst thing is getting a VA and not testing it enough in the first two weeks and being too late to return it when you do notice the smearing, I didnt notice it until around day 10 on my first VA panel as I was not gaming much or just playing bright games like Overwatch or Dirt Rally where smearing is minimal.

Then I booted up Dishonored and was distracted by it straight away, tried some others like Metro, Shadow of Morder and had to RMA immediately before it was too late :D

Extremely happy with my Dell S2719DGF that I chose after, nice and snappy no ghosting/smearing and the colors are great after calibrating.

Back
Top Bottom