System builds

Associate
Hi

Ay recommendations for where to go (online) for custom system builds? I don't want to down the Dell route as they force you to buy an OS with all their products.

Cheers. :)

Associate
OP
Ah, yeah - forgot about that! :o

Problem is, I don't have the time to build a system (two jobs, see? :)) And I don't want all the hassle/crapness of 'off-the-shelf' builds a lá No competitor talk please!... :mad:

I just need to build up a sytem that can cope with modern games as every one I buy at the moment is giving me grief. 9800 Pro 'n all...

Cheers

Associate
OP
I know - I built my current one! :p

I just simply don't have time these days. My 2D apps are fine but games aren't running anymore - which is surprising because I would have thought a 9800 Pro would still cut it. :(

Associate
OP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.html

Nice stuff indeed. :)

What am I looking for though? I run Photoshop/Corel etc and all the usual office stuff. I also want to be able to play the latest games (without so much as a hint of a struggle!).

I'm also mindful of the need for futureproofing to a certain extent.

Are the prices there a guide to quality/capability? What could I go for as a minimum for the above needs?

Cheers. :)

Associate
OP
Here's my current spec:

• Abit NF7-S v2.0
• Athlon XP3000+ @ 43ºC CM Aero 7+
• 1Gb PC3200 DDR RAM
• Enermax 550W PSU
• Maxtor 40Gb HDD
• Maxtor 160 Gb HDD
• ATI 9800 Pro (256Mb)

I feel that the 9800 Pro really should be 'cutting' it still. However, every game I'm buying, it's just (alledgedly) overheating (I've checked for dust/busted fans etc). I get a freeze with a 'sound loop' (sometimes with a blank blue screen.

My system works fine for 2D so it seems such a monumental undertaking just to upgrade for the sake of gaming. I don't game often but when I do I want 'the full-on experience' if you know what I mean.

If it was just a case of buying a mega-expensive graphics card and/or more RAM, I'd go for that - but being that the board isn't SLi, I think I'm pretty stuffed i.e. I'll have to rebuild from the ground upwards. :(

Regarding free time, it's not just a case of building it up, it's the research needed to ensure I've got the best value and the right products. If you know the current market (which I don't) there's no time spent decidng. For me, it's a long process. :)

Associate
OP
Ok, my cart is now at £924 (and the divorce papers are being written as we speak :D):

• AMD Athlon 64 4000 Retail / Asus A8N-SLi Premium / 2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Dual Channel Kit - Bundle (BU-027-OK)
• Asus ATI Radeon EAX-X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-086-AS)
• Silverstone Temjin TJ05 - Silver (No PSU) (CA-006-SV)

Futureproof?

Will my existing items fit and work?:

Enermax 550W PSU
Maxtor DiamondMax HDDs (I doubt if I have the SATA 'thingies' anymore)
3-port Firewire Card
err, probably other stuff.. :)

Associate
OP
As a quick fix (I do actually value my marriage ;)) would this work?

• PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-058-PC)
• Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)

Here's my current spec again:

• Abit NF7-S v2.0 (Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 Max 2Gb)
• Athlon XP3000+ @ 43ºC CM Aero 7+
• 1Gb PC3200 DDR RAM
• Enermax 550W PSU
• ATI 9800 Pro (256Mb)

How much better is this card than the 9800 Pro? Is it the best ATI AGP card available?

Sorry for the muck around but can I really justify a £1000+++ spend just to play the occasional game?... ;) Probably not.

Associate
OP
Sounds like sensible advice. :)

Not sure about going back to NVidia though :confused: I'd probably go for the "Goes Like Hell Edition 512MB" :D

What's the PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-058-PC) like?

Ok, we're heading towards a sensible workaround. Will 2x 1Gb sticks make any diffy? I've heard on other forums that more than 1Gb is wasted... :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks but I'm staying with the NF7-2S board for now (even with its limitations).

So, decisions decisions:

Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 or NVidia 6800GS 'Goes Like Hell' 512Mb card

and

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2

Suited and booted. Any nay-sayers to the above? :)
(Hands on credit card!... ;))

Back
Top Bottom