• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

System freezes sometimes when loading 3DMark when using RX Vega 64

Associate
Hi everyone!

Currently have a "suspicious" RX Vega 64 AC in my system which sometimes causes freezes with 3DMark. Unigine Superposition does not seem to cause any issues. Very curious if others have similar issues with their RX Vega.

Computer Type: Custom build GPU: Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Aircooled 8GB HBM2
CPU: Intel i5 4690
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
RAM: 2x Crucial 4GB DDR3-1600Mhz
PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 650W Gold Certified
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 64-bit
GPU Drivers: Radeon 17.9.1 & 17.8.2 Crimson
Description of Original Problem: System freezes sometimes when loading 3DMark when using RX Vega 64

Steps to reproduce:
  • Install 3DMark Advanced Edition & RX Vega on Windows 10
  • Repeat the following 10 times:
  • Open 3DMark Advanced (Home tab with the Timespy background should be loaded)
  • While it is loading, move the mouse frantically over the 3DMark window
  • System should freeze
Atleast once every 10 times this issue occurs.

Troubleshooting:
  • Undervolt & lower core clocks. Does not seem to help as this issue happens when idle.
  • Take out RX Vega and use integrated graphics seems to resolve the issue (even with AMD Crimson installed)
  • Turn off iGPU
  • Reinstall Windows 10.

I would appreciate any reports of reproducibility immensely!

As engaging an activity it is to try and reproduce that, the sheer joy of the process meant that I just couldn't keep count. But no, I've not had luck reproducing, I did see a couple of times after exiting 3D Mark that the system froze for a second or two. It also sounds like something that would only show on particular configurations and not reliably (if it was reliable you wouldn't need to do it 10 times). Does freezing mean "total lockup" or does it recover after some time? I'd suspect a driver issue here rather than a bad card, though 17.8.2 should be far more likely to have had such an issue as it had quite a bit freezing going on for everyone. 17.9.1 might still have some freezing issues, it's only been out shortly though.

On another note: though it's not a bad PSU, your 650W PSU isn't really big enough for a Vega 64 and it could be causing you issues under load. When benching I regularly see my system pulling around 600W at the wall (sure, that is overclocked and with 4 HDD's and lots of fans), and you wouldn't want to stress your power supply basically to the max over and over again, it's just not good for it and it may have problems keeping up where it might not be able to provide stable power as it ages.

Thank you so much for the report! I know that must not have been an interesting 10 minutes xD But I really appreciate it!

With freezing I really mean complete lock-up. As in screen freezes, no movement or responses on any USB devices and a hard restart with the power button is required to get everything running again.

I noted the same driver suspicion to OCUK but, as the hero's that we do not deserve but get, they want to RMA the card to see if they can reproduce it. Your report shows atleast some evidence that hardware failure is an option.

Regarding the PSU, thank you for the headsup! Already saving for a new 850W PSU :D

@Webhito Ever since, I have written it off to a software issue somewhere (probably 3DMark). I RMA'ed the card and they found it faulty. However, since then I have switched to a RX 580 with which I have the exact same issue. I do not have the issue on my (Intel) iGPU. I think something with the combination of 3DMark + AMD is causing it.

Back
Top Bottom