Tabletop Warhammer?

Commissario
That sounds like a great gaming club:) (and you can tell they've put a lot of time and effort into the scenery)

I'm liking the look of your Adeptus Mechanicus, have you seen the new "renegade" box set they're putting out with the two nights and sector mechanicus scenery?
Apparently they'll be doing it cheaper than the previous Renegade set, which was in itself and absolute steal (IIRC that was about £96 with discount when one of the knights on it's own was about £85)

I've got the start of a small admech force in boxes, but it's going to have to wait a while as I'm determined to get my daemons done, or at least the Khorne stuff before I start anything else :)

Man of Honour
That sounds like a great gaming club:) (and you can tell they've put a lot of time and effort into the scenery)

I'm liking the look of your Adeptus Mechanicus, have you seen the new "renegade" box set they're putting out with the two nights and sector mechanicus scenery?
Apparently they'll be doing it cheaper than the previous Renegade set, which was in itself and absolute steal (IIRC that was about £96 with discount when one of the knights on it's own was about £85)

I've got the start of a small admech force in boxes, but it's going to have to wait a while as I'm determined to get my daemons done, or at least the Khorne stuff before I start anything else :)
Haven’t seen the new renegade box and can’t find anything about it from a google either! When’s that purportedly out? I did get the Forgebane set and have a couple of warglaives to build from that. I did see there was a new knights standalone game but those weren’t ‘full sized’ ones.

The bad thing about the ad mech is that the skittari take forever to paint - I’m painting 6 more at the moment and it’s exhausting. You could take forever if you want to all the details like the dials on the backpack or the etching on the rifles. On the flip side, they end up looking cool on the table even if painted in a slightly meh fashion.

Will take a photo of the B squad when finished. Realistically it’ll be at least a month even with concentrated efforts!! Hnnngh. It does seem rare that people play with fully painted armies and true WYSIWYG - usually a few minor variances.

Yeah - really cool club!

Edit - aha! https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/27/all-knights-great-and-small/

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone on here do/know anyone who does molds/casts of models and parts?

I've got a little Nurgle fly off one of the models and I want to replicate it but it isn't sold seperately and don't fancy spending loads of money to snip a load of little flies off :p

Soldato
Does anyone on here do/know anyone who does molds/casts of models and parts?

I've got a little Nurgle fly off one of the models and I want to replicate it but it isn't sold seperately and don't fancy spending loads of money to snip a load of little flies off :p

If it's not a very complicated piece you could try something like instant mold, or alternatively you can often buy individual bits separately on ebay for a premium

Soldato
If it's not a very complicated piece you could try something like instant mold, or alternatively you can often buy individual bits separately on ebay for a premium

It's literally snipped off the side of another model so can't find it on eBay, I'll look into instant mold.

My name is not Poomie :D

Also, painting these little things is a real test of patience - I'm glad I got some old ones to practice on!

Shut up Poomie and get back to painting. :D

Soldato
Went to my local GW today to pick up some bits and found out the manager had left and they had a guy filling in. He was completely useless :p

Couldn't help me with a single thing (though it didn't stop me spending £58 :p) be watching a few online tutorials for using green stuff for my test tonight as the guy was useless.

Man of Honour
Went to my local GW today to pick up some bits and found out the manager had left and they had a guy filling in. He was completely useless :p

Couldn't help me with a single thing (though it didn't stop me spending £58 :p) be watching a few online tutorials for using green stuff for my test tonight as the guy was useless.
I’m tempted to drop £240 on a knight army nobody will ever want to play against \o/

Soldato
I'm looking forward to AoS2 now.

Spent a lot of time and money lately:

Bought a load of Dark Aelves from a nice chap on TGA forums. That bolstered my Order Serpentis army to 2 dragons, 2 hydras, 25 drakespawn, 1 chariot, 5 assassins, 2 sorceresses... Basically comfortably 2000 points with some variance in between.

I've also ordered the original starter set, a box of Vanguard Raptors and some gold spray. My son really enjoyed painting a Liberator, and for a bit of washing with Reikland and me doing some details, it's a very quick way for him to have 1000 points. He's only 7 but loved playing AoS.

I've also ordered two boxes of Melusai and a Cauldron of Blood. Couldn't resist as I got two boxes Doomfire Warlocks in the big lot from TGA too. So I've also got (or will have) a 1000 point Daughters of Khaine army.

I think I'm going to sell a load of models soon though. Bought some blue spray about 18 months ago to do my Ultramarines, but I think I'll keep a 1k list or so, then sell the rest. Might well do that with some of the fantasy stuff I know I won't use as well. Especially now things like Dark Riders are in such a small faction on their own, but the models are glorious. :(

Soldato
Finished my first WH40k miniatures today, some Primaris Reivers. I'm quite pleased with them - although I'm sure most would say they're barely tabletop standard :D

The models themselves are great, but the six I just finished were the Easy to Build ones and I did them in pieces to help with painting difficult to reach bits. Not quite sure if that will work with the standard models in the Dark Imperium set where you need glue, so you need to be careful where your paint goes.

Commissario
Now now, you can always get him at the next game ;)

A sort of serious question, does anyone else have a huge pile of models that they've not painted yet? (or even not opened?)
I was thinking about it earlier and realised I probably have rather a lot more in the way of models than I'd really registered that are awaiting work, including several armies, and things like Dreadfleet :eek:

What brought this on was trying to decide if I was an idiot for ordering Renegade as I have two of the old set (bought because of the value, same with two lots of Shield of Baal which was released just as I was starting to do 'Nids, although I did use many of them and have most of them painted to at least 3 colours*).

I'm thinking I might try and get a load of them assembled and undercoated before winter, so I can work on them without having to wait for it to be warm enough to undercoat them (I'm also going to try and bring our airbrush in so I can do larger models and some of the scenery backlog in comfort).

*I think our Airbrush was a sanity saver there, about 2-3 minutes per model for the skin base coat (carapaces took a fair bit longer by hand).

Soldato
Now now, you can always get him at the next game ;)

A sort of serious question, does anyone else have a huge pile of models that they've not painted yet? (or even not opened?)
I was thinking about it earlier and realised I probably have rather a lot more in the way of models than I'd really registered that are awaiting work, including several armies, and things like Dreadfleet :eek:

What brought this on was trying to decide if I was an idiot for ordering Renegade as I have two of the old set (bought because of the value, same with two lots of Shield of Baal which was released just as I was starting to do 'Nids, although I did use many of them and have most of them painted to at least 3 colours*).

I'm thinking I might try and get a load of them assembled and undercoated before winter, so I can work on them without having to wait for it to be warm enough to undercoat them (I'm also going to try and bring our airbrush in so I can do larger models and some of the scenery backlog in comfort).

*I think our Airbrush was a sanity saver there, about 2-3 minutes per model for the skin base coat (carapaces took a fair bit longer by hand).
Oh god. I've got over 100 boxes of brand new, completely untouched stuff. It's actually a bit ridiculous.

Soldato
I think it's quite natural to have so many models on the go.

As a hobby, it's so encompassing - collecting, modelling, painting, gaming. I think over the years I've come to discover I really enjoy making the models up and converting etc and also collecting the models to make up army lists more than anything else.

I used to paint prolifically when I was first in the hobby at the age of 11. I had a Necromunda gang, loads of Ultramarines, Legion of the Damned, Space Wolves, Dark Angels and the odd fantasy miniature. However, it takes me long time to paint, so I tend to put it off unless I have a good block of time. I have recently finished painting, just about, 17 Drakespawn and made a start on the knights themselves and the other bits associated. I've painted a few one off models too like assassins and sorceresses. I think it's units I find difficult, but I'm getting there because I want to play the game properly for the first time ever really.

EDIT:

The next big army I go for will be much simpler to paint or use mostly an airbrush if I invest. Nighthaunt, Stormcast, Tyranids (if 40K) that you can paint either via drybrush, washes or sprays then really take your time on details and characters. I just love Aelves though. :D

Commissario
I'm feeling a bit better, I was listing out what I can remember having and it's something like
Deathclaw
Dark imperium (part assembled some)
Dark Vengence
Shadow War Armageddon
Renegade (old version) x 2
Dark Fleet

Get Started:
Tzeench (part assembled)
Slanaash
Nurgle
Blood Angles
Tau

Other sets:
Blood Angel Preditor of Baal (I think it is)
Blood Angel Terminators
2x Sheild of Baal Imperials (Nids painted)
Exaulted Chariot of Slanaash (bought when it first came out)
Riptide
Soul Grinder
Haemotrope reactor
Death Guard Plauge Breathren (the 3 model limited one)
2x Greater Brass Scorpions
FW Demon prince of Khorne and Herald (I think it is)
Various FW games days/event figures
Various GW birthday/limited models
The Garden of Mort scenery set
The Village/manner scenery set (with the larger house, outhouse etc)

Fantasy

Loads of Skaven and Empire as most of my normal group lost all interest when AOS started.

Then there are the Malifaux, Infinity, Hasslefree (they have some nice/jokey characters, not at all based on things like Scooby Do or SG1), I need to paint up the Banana guy ASAP and get Steve next time I see them at a show, and some resin busts etc.

I hate to think what my brother has sitting around, as I know he's got pretty much all the 40k scenery sets just as a start, and he buys far more models than I do.

Surely that’s exaggeration - that’s like... £3k of kit?! :eek:

I thought I was bad. Deffo getting loads of knights btw :D

There is a reason scale modellers refer to it as loft insulation sometimes....

The next big army I go for will be much simpler to paint or use mostly an airbrush if I invest. Nighthaunt, Stormcast, Tyranids (if 40K) that you can paint either via drybrush, washes or sprays then really take your time on details and characters. I just love Aelves though. :D

If you're doing a horde army with large areas of the same colour an Airbrush will probably save your sanity :p
I'm tempted if/when I get back to doing Skaven again to simply use one of the Vallejo green or brown undercoats for the airbrush as the base colour for a lot of them (I think they do a green that would be good for Plague Monks, and a brown that would do it for fur for many of the others).

Last edited:
Soldato
Makes me feel a little better around having about 35 models to paint.

Surely that’s exaggeration - that’s like... £3k of kit?! :eek:

I thought I was bad. Deffo getting loads of knights btw :D

You'd think so wouldn't you? But genuinely, it's over 100 boxes... That's just the Warhammer stuff. I've got a load of Kromlech and Wargame Exclusive stuff as well.

Soldato
everyone knows that when a gamer runs out of models to paint he ceases to exist.

I haven't touched a brush in ages whilst doing ACCA so my stockpile is just getting bigger :/

most recent addition is the new(ish) necromunda boxed game and the primaris marines from dark imperium but that is really just the tip of the iceberg, even selling off all my lord of the rings and I'm left with loads

Back
Top Bottom