Talk to me about camera bags

Soldato
So I'm in a bit of a conundrum at the minute. I currently have a canvas messenger bag that I have outfit with a Caden insert to house my gear. I really like this style and setup because I can switch lenses quickly and easily without even taking the bag off. Over the years this is the style of photography I've got used to due to mainly owning primes. My problem is that I'm starting to suffer some neck and shoulder ache from the weight and feel I could probably do myself a favour by spreading that weight over both shoulders. This of course would likely break my routine of switching lenses quickly.

Has anyone else had to do something similar and if so how did you get on with it? Can anyone recommend any nice canvas rucksacks that I could try or take a look at?

The other option is that I review what I take with me but I feel like I've probably slimmed it down as much as I can already without replacing stuff; I don't take USB cables or chargers, only have one spare battery and a slim cleaning kit, don't take my flash unless I have something specific in mind. My standard kit currently is a 7dii, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8 ii and 24mm pancake. While I do try to challenge myself by sticking to one lens for periods of time it's nice to have them all with me. Obviously the 70-200 is a bloody tank and likely the cause of my discomfort but it's such a nice lens I'm not sure I want to "trade down".

Thoughts?

Associate
Lowepro sling bags are good as you can shift the weight around to the front and also change lenses from the front without having to take the bag off. Wide strap helps .. I've got two of them .. one for D500 + 70-300 + 105 + 12-24 .. pouches for cables and spare batteries, keys etc .. rain cover .. it's padded too .. the other is a larger version and I can squeeze the 300mm inside .. for anything bigger i go for my Lowepro 33 trekker .. thats for the 150-600 sport ..

Soldato
I used to have a messenger style bag which I found awkward and always felt that it was cutting into my shoulder. I bought a Manfrotto Pro Sling 50 bag and am very happy with it, I could just have easily gone for a Lowepro though. Not sure about the cheaper Chinese ones, never seen them in the flesh, but they look okay.

Whichever style you decide upon, take a look on Ebay for the end of line (but brand new) bags from Lowepro, Manfrotto etc. There's a couple of UK Photo shop retailers who sell them off cheap on there, it's where I got mine from.

Associate
You've probably heard of this site www.cambags.com

You know you're on the decline and on the slippery slope into the abyss, when the equipment you carry starts feeling heavy (Happy Monday everyone :D)
One of the first camera and lens specs I look at, apart from the price, is the weight. And then work out what the total weight I'd be carrying would be.

F2.8 lens are expensive and heavy. If you always use a tripod for example, I'd recommend the F4 versions.
Back when I bought my Canon equipment, I looked at the 70-200 F2.8 and the F4 non IS version. I went for the latter and still us it today when Sony mirrorless.

Soldato
It's funny you should mention camera bags,when I sold my Sony A6000 a month or so ago I had no need for the bags I had for it due to being a small camera,I gave all the bags away with the camera and once I had got them out of cupboards ect I had 7!!!!

I promised myself when I went back to the DSLR I would only have one bag.....I'm up to 3 already !!!!

Buying a camera bag that is perfect can be quite challenging.

Soldato
My problem is that I'm starting to suffer some neck and shoulder ache from the weight and feel I could probably do myself a favour by spreading that weight over both shoulders. This of course would likely break my routine of switching lenses quickly.

Don't use the messenger bag all the time. The Flipside sport allows for a backpack carrying style with the ability to swing it round to the front without it falling. Particularly useful when carrying a load of gear when in the wilds. The Vanguard allows for one to two lenses and an XT2 with a 50-140, 100-400 and 3 small primes. I would generally use that for events. The messenger bag I use can only accommodate an XE2 with two to three Primes. Only used for town and back. Use different bags for different situations.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the responses :)

Ethan, I think you are right. Different bags for different situations instead of looking for a one fit for all. I'll take a look at the Lower Flipside's. The Douche Bags look really nice too but a bit pricey!

Soldato
And as others have said,there is always a bag for different situations and best to have a few bags (that's what I tell myself anyway)

Caporegime
And as others have said,there is always a bag for different situations and best to have a few bags (that's what I tell myself anyway)

I have a big pelican case that's when full, it's almost too heavy for 1 person to lift.

I have a smaller pelican case that's carry on size. I also have a Thinktank case that's carry on size.

I also have a Crumpler back pack.

And a Crumpler messenger style bag.

Finally also one of those bags that's for a body and 1 short lens attached.

You can say I have almost all the sizes and which one I don't use anymore?

The giant pelican case. That's turned into a storage case that doesn't get moved. The shoulder back pack also do not get used because when full, that is too heavy for long day shoot. The single lens case is also useless because if I have just 1 lens, i tend to hold onto the camera all day anyway so the bag just get in the way.

Soooo if it's carry on size wheel cases or messenger bags.

Soldato
I have a big pelican case that's when full, it's almost too heavy for 1 person to lift.

I have a smaller pelican case that's carry on size. I also have a Thinktank case that's carry on size.

I also have a Crumpler back pack.

And a Crumpler messenger style bag.

Finally also one of those bags that's for a body and 1 short lens attached.

You can say I have almost all the sizes and which one I don't use anymore?

The giant pelican case. That's turned into a storage case that doesn't get moved. The shoulder back pack also do not get used because when full, that is too heavy for long day shoot. The single lens case is also useless because if I have just 1 lens, i tend to hold onto the camera all day anyway so the bag just get in the way.

Soooo if it's carry on size wheel cases or messenger bags.
I was thinking of getting a pelican case like you for storage,might have a look around and see what i can get.

Soldato
Thanks for all the responses :)

Ethan, I think you are right. Different bags for different situations instead of looking for a one fit for all. I'll take a look at the Lower Flipside's. The Douche Bags look really nice too but a bit pricey!
I have to confess I have a few other bags in the attic but the three I mentioned are more than adequately suitable for my needs. I'll probably get round to using a Pelican case for professional and practical reasons eventually. The Vanguard and the Flipside are great. You wouldn't immediately and necessarily associate the Vanguard as a camera bag out in public though I admit it's not as non description as a messenger.

Back
Top Bottom