Talk to me about UPS

Soldato
So, following a power cut last night I thinking that it might be a good idea to get a UPS (well maybe actually 2 in reality) so that things can be kept running during a short outage and at least be shutdown cleanly during a longer one. But this is something which I know very little about (most of my career I have dealt with enterprise servers in data centres where the UPS was something managed by facilities at a site level rather than being dealt with machine by machine).

The systems I have which I think would need to be covered would be
UPS1:
1x HP Gen8 Microserver with 2x2TB + 2x1TB running ESXi 6.0
2x QNAP 431X NAS with 4x4TB
1x QNAP 431 NAS with 4x2TB
1x QNAP 259 Pro NAS with 2x4TB
1x HP 1810g-24 24-port managed switch

UPS2:
1x HP Gen8 Microserver with 1x SSD + 1x1TB + 2x2TB running Ubuntu
1x BT Home Hub 6 (for WIFI access)
1x Netgear 8-port unmanaged switch

That would allow me to get onto the NASes and servers via WIFI from a tablet/phone/laptop and shut them down if necessary.

What sort of sizes and brands should I be looking at and what if I can get the actual power draw of the devices how do I do the calculation to work out how much capacity I need for how long? I don't you can get devices which you can put between the system and the wall to give an idea of the actual power draw ... anyone have any recommendations on those as well?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
From memory I think the spec. page for the QNAP 431x is supposed to pull ~27W with 4x1TB drives ... but that's on paper so in reality could be different as they don't say if how heavily they were being hit when that measurement was taken (and nor what model disk so no way to compare with the 4TB drives I'm using). Quite a bit under 75W, although the power supply is supposed to be rated at 90W.

Back
Top Bottom